Multicultural Awareness Week begins March 30

By Hadley Barndollar, Staff Writer

multicultural_cal

Mar. 30 will mark the start of Delta Xi Phi’s (DXP) Multicultural Awareness Week at the University of New Hampshire campus. The co-sponsored events will run all week long, highlighting different themes of interest and concern, stretching across numerous communities.

“We host a Multicultural Awareness Week each semester with the goal of educating the UNH community on topics they may not be aware of,” said Amber Glassman, president of DXP.  “We try to host different events to attract a variety of people to attend the week.”

On Monday, students will be able to express their definitions of multiculturalism, where DXP will be tabling in Union Court asking, “What does multiculturalism mean to you?” Photographs will be taken of these definitions to be shared with the UNH community.

On Tuesday, an open discussion will take place titled “The Struggles and Lack of Work Rights of Undocumented Workers.”

The event is co-hosted by Sigma Alpha, the agricultural sorority. Taking place in MUB 233 from 5-6:30 p.m., students are encouraged to attend and share opinions on the hardships of these undocumented workers.

On Wednesday, a co-hosted event with MOSAICO titled “Island Nations” will be taking place in the Entertainment Center from 5-7 p.m.

“We’ll introduce participants to various cuisines from island countries and will also further explain the various cultures,” Glassman said.

On Thursday, an event titled “Multicultural Trivia Crack” will take place in the Wildcat Den at 6:30 p.m. Glassman said this will be similar to the popular app, as it will be game show-like version where all questions relate back to different areas of multiculturalism. Students are encouraged to come test their knowledge.

And finally, to close out the week’s events, there will be a speed-friending event on Friday from 12-2 p.m. in MUB 330/332.

“This event is aimed to create connections among various individuals [who want] to further their knowledge on multicultural topics,” Glassman said. “There will be quick rounds of small talk which allow participants to make connections.”

The week presents numerous opportunities for students to connect with one another and exchange knowledge about the universality of race and culture.

All events are free to attend.