‘Pie a Theta Chi’ raises $250 in donations

By Tyler Kennedy, Contributing Writer

Tyler Kennedy/ContributING Theta Chi brothers Mike Galgano and Chris Severance sit smiling having been pied for charity. The fraternity raised over $200 on Wednesday.
Tyler Kennedy/ContributING
Theta Chi brothers Mike Galgano and Chris Severance sit smiling having been pied for charity. The fraternity raised over $200 on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, the Theta Chi Fraternity hosted its second annual fundraising event, “Pie a Theta Chi,” from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Strafford Room of the Memorial Union Building.

The fundraiser asked for spectators to donate $2 to which he or she would be rewarded with the opportunity to pie a brother of their choice in the face. 

“This event allows us to relieve a little stress and blow off some steam, while also helping us to raise the funds we need,” said Malone Soeun, the fundraising chairman of Theta Chi.

The event was organized in such a manner that the brothers could work in shifts, limiting the amount of pie abuse to each brother.  When they hosted the event last spring they raised roughly $250 in donations (approximately 125 pies to the face).

The total budget of the event last year was $40, leaving the brothers with quite a profit for the one-day event. With that in mind, the colony was determined to do better this year and raised the budget by nearly $60.

However, in the course of the year, those in charge of carrying out the event decided to switch it up. Last spring, the pies consisted of pure whipped cream. That may seem like a deliciously good time, but it proved to be difficult for the guys being pied.  It’s a little known fact that whipped cream, causes irritation when it comes in contact with eyes. Theta Chi learned this the hard way.

This year, they decided to go in another direction. Instead of using whipped cream, the pies used for the event this year consisted of only shaving cream.

When asked on how the pies tasted this year, Theta Chi president Andrew Butts said that they tasted soapy, but was glad he could see.

“All proceeds we made from today will go towards us carrying out more campus and philanthropy events for the UNH community,” Butts said.