Search for the next UNH provost begins

By Ken Johnson, Staff Writer

University of New Hampshire President Mark Huddleston announced the beginning of the search for the new provost for the university and the vice president for enrollment management via email on Tuesday.

Lisa MacFarlane, the current provost, will be leaving her position after the end of the academic year to start her new position as the principal of Phillips Exeter Academy.  The announcement of MacFarlane’s departure was sent via email to the university body on Jan. 30, the same day that Phillips Exeter Academy announced that MacFarlane would become its new principal starting the next fiscal year.

The position of vice president for enrollment management is a new position at UNH.  In an email sent out to the university body in December, Huddleston said, “[The vice president for enrollment management position] will ensure that UNH builds on the success of the past decade and, in particular, the past year when UNH welcomed its largest and most inclusive first-year class.”

The search committee for the provost position is chaired by Mike Ferrara, dean of the college of Health and Human Services, and Deborah Kinghorn, professor of Theatre and Dance. The search committee for the vice president for enrollment management is chaired by Huddleston.

Both search committees have a broad range of employees of the three UNH campuses.  The provost search committee has representatives from Durham, along with UNH at Manchester and the UNH School of Law in Concord. The vice president for enrollment management search committee has representatives from both Durham and Manchester campuses.

The email announcement from Huddleston included the members of both search committees.  The search committee for the vice president for enrollment management position consists of 10 members, outside of Huddleston.  The rest of the members of the search committee, all from administration, are Megan Davis, chief of staff; Debbie Dutton, president of UNH foundation/vice president for university advancement; Dave May, associate vice president for business affairs; Rob McGann, director of admissions; Leigh Anne Melanson, associate provost for academic administration; Steve Metcalf, deputy athletic director; Kathi Mullin, associate vice chancellor at UNH Manchester; Jaime Nolan, associate vice president for community, equity and diversity; Mike Pilot, UNH foundation board of directors; and Joel Seligman, associate vice president and chief communications officer.

The search committee for the provost position consists of 15 members, outside of Ferrara and Kinghorn.  The committee is composed of both members of administration, Paul Dean, executive director of safety; Ted Dey, USNH board of trustees; Debbie Dutton, president of UNH foundation/vice president for university advancement; Margaret McCabe, associate dean of academic affairs at UNH School of Law; Bryan Merrill, undergraduate trustee, USNH Board of Trustees; Neil Niman, interim associate dean of academic programs, Paul College; Jan Nisbet, senior vice provost for research; Jaime Nolan, associate vice president for community, equity and diversity; P.T. Vasudevan, senior vice provost for academic affairs; Mike Verney, graduate student senate president; and Sue Walsh, interim division chair and associate professor of English, UNH Manchester.

And of members of the teaching faculty, Diane Foster, associate professor of mechanical engineering; Steve Frolking, research professor of biogeochemical modeling; Tom Lee, associate professor, Forest Ecology; and Mike Mangan, senior lecturer in psychology.

The provost review committee will be meeting for the first time later this week.