Tickets go on sale for Logic concert

By Miranda Wilder, Staff Writer

Miranda Wilder/STAFF /cutline/
Miranda Wilder/STAFF
Students wait in line near the MUB ticket office to purchase tickets.

Students suffered through the cold, early-morning hours of the past two days in order to buy tickets for Logic’s upcoming performance at the University of New Hampshire in April.

“It’s cold out, but there’s still a little bit of a line,” said Ian Standish, Student Committee On Popular Entertainment (SCOPE) production director. “People are braving the weather for it.”

Logic is a hip-hop/rap artist, fairly new to the game with his debut album “Under Pressure” released just last year. He has recently been featured on both Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel, and is busy with his world tour.

“The people who know about him are stoked,” Standish said. “The people who don’t are at least giving him a listen.”

SCOPE wanted to try something new by booking an up-and-coming artist in a smaller venue on campus.

According to Publicity Director Christina Merrill, ticket sales were completely different this year.

Whereas students are typically accustomed to giant performances in the Whittemore Center, this show will be held across the street in the Field House. The major difference:, no bowl seats, only general admission.

“Bowl seats are always the hardest to sell in the Whit,” Standish said.

By lunchtime Thursday, tickets were nearly halfway sold out, according to several members of SCOPE.

For previous shows, there had been no specified line-up time. SCOPE tried something new to help ease the wait.

“For safety, we’re now required to tell students that line-up starts no earlier than 6 a.m.,” Merrill said. “In the past there was no definite time.”

Students have been known to start camping out the night before tickets go on sale, creating a huge mess of people waiting for over 10 hours and generating a hype that makes it difficult to control the crowds.

Doors opened around 6:30 a.m., allowing the early-comers to wait inside the warmth until ticket boxes.

“By 8 a.m., when the MUB box office opened up, there was an initial rush,” Merrill said. “And after, a steady flow for the rest of the day until 4 p.m. when the box office closed. Tickets definitely went faster than Slightly Stoopid [SCOPE’s fall performer].”

Many of the students in line couldn’t name a single Logic song, but were excited to go out with friends, enjoy a live concert and possibly entertain a new favorite artist.

Much of the day’s consistent, but short, line was filled with hip-hop fanatics or friends of friends who love Logic.

According to a survey done by SCOPE, around 50 percent of students wanted a hip-hop/rap performer.

“That request has been satisfied,” Merrill said. “When we decided to announce [Logic] with no build-up, the students that walked by our large billboard were very excited to see his face.”

As for an opening act, SCOPE has yet to book one. They are looking for a more local artist, similar in genre. Suggestions are welcome on their official social media sites.

Standish, however, seems to think they are quite close to booking a particular artist among several choices. He can say no further, except that he thinks everyone is really going to enjoy the April 9 show.

General admission price for students is $20 students and $30 for non-students. Tickets will continue to sell throughout the day online and at the MUB box office until they are sold out.

Follow Miranda Wilder on twitter at @mirandawildest