Live storm coverage: Juno hits UNH

UPDATED: Wednesday, January 28, 9:05 a.m. 
The University of New Hampshire sent out a UNH Alert text/email this morning at 8:23 a.m. announcing extended curtailed operations until 4 a.m. on Thursday.
According to UNH transportation, all Wildcat Transit services have been suspended until Thursday per curtailed operations. A winter parking ban is in full effect in the Visitior Center Lot, West Edge Lot and Section 4 of Lot A.
UPDATED: Tuesday, January 27, 12:45 p.m. 
TNH Staff Report
Today is a snow day at the University of New Hampshire, but you won’t see much sledding.
The Seacoast was placed under a blizzard warning last night at 10 p.m. According to the National Weather Service, current snow totals for Durham and surrounding towns are averaging 17 inches.
According to Durham Town Administrator Todd Selig, wind gusts are 25-35 miles per hour, and visibility is incredibly poor.
“It’s windy, it’s cold. The driving conditions are absolutely terrible. It’s near white-out conditions at the time,” he said. “The piles of snow downtown have gotten quite high.
“The snow is blowing back to the roads as fast as we can blow it off. [The roads] are heavily snow covered because of the wind effect,” Selig said. “We’re advising people if they don’t have to be out and about, to stay home.”

DSC_0078 2
Phoebe McPherson/STAFF
(From left) Senior Amanda Langer, senior Galen Robinson and junior Ryan Curtis brave the snow to shovel the walkway at The Cottages of Durham. Around campus and Durham, snow totals rise by the hour.

In a press release, Selig said that free salt and sand mixes are available at the former town hall office, 15 Newmarket Road.
In a press conference, Gov. Maggie Hassan asked residents to be wary of traveling as snow accumulation is as high as 4 inches per hour in some parts of the Granite State. According to currentresults.com, Durham averages 44.8 inches of snow per year.
UNH Police Chief Paul Dean said all should stay indoors. “Visibility is down to zero,” he said. “Nobody should be coming out unless they absolutely have to.”
Selig added that both the UNH campus and town of Durham are still with power.
“We’ve experienced no power outages in Durham or on campus. We’re doing well where we haven’t had any loss,” he said.
According to Dean, there have been no major accidents or injuries, but vehicles have become stuck in snowbanks, “all over the place,” he said. “Some snowdrifts are very high in some places, you can’t see where the roads end and the sidewalk begins.”
Dean added that meals were being delivered to students with disabilities.
Selig is at Durham Town Hall taking emergency calls.
“I’m an emergency responder. I’m here poised to respond if needed,” he said.

More updates will come later in the day.