Lionel J. "Junie" Carbonneau, UNH coach & administrator passes away

Courtesy Blah Blah Blah
Courtesy
Lionel J. “Junie” Carbonneau

EXETER — Lionel J. “Junie” Carbonneau, 88, loving husband, father, grandfather, and great grandfather passed away on Jan. 24 at The Boulders in Exeter.

He was born in Exeter on Dec. 31, 1926. He was the son of Lionel J and Morgianna (Cahill) Carbonneau. He graduated from Exeter High School in 1944. He then entered the service with the Army Air Corp for two years. Upon his discharge, he attended Phillips Exeter Academy graduating in 1947.  He was an all-star athlete participating in baseball, basketball and football during his high school years. He went on to attend UNH where he played basketball and lacrosse. He was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.

After receiving his degree from UNH in 1951, he taught math and history at Tilton Prep School for 13 years. He served as the coach of the football, basketball and baseball teams as well as being appointed the Athletic Director. He left Tilton Prep in 1963 to teach math at Laconia High School where he also coached football and basketball. In 1965, he joined the coaching staff at UNH where he coached basketball, lacrosse and football. He was on the football coaching staff when UNH won the Yankee Conference Football Title, when the team played in the nationals in Montana in 1976 and Louisiana in 1978. He was also named the Assistant Athletic Director and Interim Athletic Director before retiring in 1990. He was a member of the New England College Athletic Conference, The American Football Association, The American Lacrosse Association, and the UNH Alumni Association. He was elected into the UNH Hall of Fame in 2003 for his roles as a player, teacher, coach and administrator.

In his retirement, he enjoyed the challenges of golf and was a member of Portsmouth Country Club. He enjoyed working in his yard and helping his children with various home renovation projects. He also served on the Board of the Selective Service System from 1998-1999.

Surviving him is his beloved wife, Jane (Phillips), to whom he has been married for 61 years and three daughters: Gail C. Linehan of Londonderry, Susan and Mick Detrick of Orlando, Florida, Nancy Kennedy and Richard of Bedford, and five grandchildren; Brooke Linehan of Manchester, Daniel Carbonneau of Laconia, Micheala Carbonneau of Deer Trail, CO, Colleen Carbonneau of Manchester, Kelsey Kennedy of Bedford, and great grandson, John S Linehan of Manchester. Additional survivors include Marie Toole and Scott Linehan both of Manchester, along with many nieces, nephews and cousins. He is predeceased by his son, Michael J Carbonneau who died in 2005 and his twin sister Joan Biron who died in 1995. He will be missed by many close family friends and loved ones.

Calling hours will be held on Wednesday from 4-7 p.m. at the Brewitt Funeral Home, 14 Pine St., Exeter, NH.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Thursday at 11 a.m. at St. Michael Church in Exeter.

Spring burial will be in the Durham Cemetery.

The family would like to thank his many caregivers at The Boulders who took such good care of him. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the UNH Wildcat Club or an organization of one’s choice.

For more information, please visit www.brewittfuneralhome.com