Dose of ‘Logic’ coming in April

By Greg Laudani, Staff Writer

Nicole Farnsworth/Contributing  A painting announcing SCOPE’s concert for the spring concert, rapper Logic. The announcement, made Dec. 1, was in response to a reported overwhelming request for a rap concert from the SCOPE music survey following the Slightly Stoopid concert in late November.
Nicole Farnsworth/Contributing
A painting announcing SCOPE’s concert for the spring concert, rapper Logic. The announcement, made Dec. 1, was in response to a reported overwhelming request for a rap concert from the SCOPE music survey following the Slightly Stoopid concert in late November.

“Logic” is officially a UNH buzzword.

As students anxiously gear up for final exams, campus started buzzing earlier this week — and it was not just in hope of curtailed operations.

In unanticipated fashion, the Student Committee on Popular Entertainment (SCOPE) has booked rapper Logic for UNH’s Spring Concert, which will be held on April 9, at the UNH Field House in Durham. Tickets go on sale Jan. 29.

SCOPE blasted the news out with a video on social media and with posters around campus. But the student organization captured many students’ attention with its 8-foot, wood billboard displaying the “Under Pressure” album cover on the Great Lawn parallel to Main Street.

The announcement came on Tuesday, Dec.1, just three weeks after reggae band Slightly Stoopid performed at the fall concert. It just so happens the news came out on the same day Logic released the dates for the Under Pressure World Tour.

Logic will feature his highly anticipated debut studio album “Under Pressure” on the tour. Def Jam Recordings and Visionary Music Group launched the record on Oct. 21.

Its unexpected advertising — and woodwork skills — was part of SCOPE’s plan to surprise students by announcing Logic’s performance without anticipation.

“When it came to announcing, we wanted to be experimental with this show,” SCOPE publicity director Christina Merrill said. “There was no buildup or anticipation, we just wanted to drop the name.”

SCOPE said “thousands of” students filled out its survey to request the artist of their choice for the spring concert. According to Merrill, rap was the most popular genre. She also said that Logic was requested many times.

These students got their wish, as numerous people took to social media following the announcement to show their excitement.

“We received some very positive feedback from students who were happy to see their voices heard on our survey,” Merrill said. “Students took pictures with the billboard, shared our video and tweeted at us.

There was just a lot of excitement, and we were happy to receive such good energy from so many people.”

Logic has a significant following on campus, including sophomore Ryan Janczy. The sophomore said the rapper’s popularity at UNH has a lot to do with his ability to inspire listeners after battling though a difficult upbringing.

“A lot of people listen to him because he makes awesome music, and he has a great story,” Janczy said. “He grew up in a pretty bad environment and he used to deal drugs for his heroin-addicted dad. But he has been clean since he started making music.”

Junior Chris King, an avid Logic fan, can’t wait to see the rapper bring his blend of talent and inspiration to UNH.

“Logic coming to UNH is what we have always needed,” King said. “He is someone who was born with an artistic ability to inspire the public to believe. I hope that people are inspired by the way he goes about his level of art and choose to believe in what they can do themselves.”

King did not hesitate to praise SCOPE for booking Logic.

“By the time the concert comes to UNH, he [Logic] will have completed his world tour of 45 shows and will be an industry leader,” King said. “SCOPE brought you a $100 concert for $20,” King said. “Their organization is incredible.”

SCOPE is thrilled to bring such a popular artist to campus. However, the student organization did not receive similar praise after inking Slightly Stoopid. The overall reaction from students seems to be more positive for Logic.

“I think Logic is much better than Slightly Stoopid, for sure,” junior Steve Ricciardone said. “It seems like more people on campus like rap rather than reggae, so I think it’s a great choice.”

SCOPE said mixed feelings are unavoidable, but Slightly Stoopid was still a successful show. However, reaching more students’ requests with Logic gives the student organization an added adrenaline rush for April 9. 

“We’ve been very excited about both concerts,” said Ian Standish, SCOPE’s executive director. “It’s not that Slightly Stoopid wasn’t received well, because everyone that was at that show had a great time. There will always be negative feedback just because we can’t please everyone.”

Standish said that securing Logic is a “mission accomplished.” After mixing in some reggae with Slightly Stoopid, Standish is happy that SCOPE was able to bring some rap — the most highly requested genre on the organization’s surveys — to Durham.

“It’s our mission to please the biggest cross section of campus, and the only way to please everyone is by bringing different genres,” Standish said. “With this show, we’re just more excited about hitting a very popular cross section of campus.”

SCOPE is switching its venue after hosting Slightly Stoopid at the Whittemore Center.

The UNH Field House holds approximately 2500 people, less than half of the nearly 5500 that can pack into the Whitt. With that said, SCOPE encourages students to buy tickets as early as possible. 

Standish said that although there will be fewer tickets available, the field house will bring students closer to the action.

“Having it at the field house will be a little smaller and a little more intimate,” Standish said. “But it will be cool because it will all be floor seats [general admission]. So it will be a nice change of scenery. We think it’s going to sell really well.”

Janczy is confident the show will sell out no matter where it is.

“I think it will definitely sell out the field house,” Janczy said. “And even if they move it to the Whitt, I would not be surprised if they sold out there, too.”