‘Invent the future’ asks new scholarship

By Kirsten McDonald, Contributing Writer

Global English Editing launched a new scholarship for students attending universities in the United States.

The scholarship is called “A Better America Scholarship Program” which offers an annual scholarship of $1500. The award will go to a student that has the intention to change the United States after he or she graduates.

The company shares on their scholarship website that “‘A Better America Scholarship Program’ aims to recognize university students in the United States who have big agendas, and make a financial contribution to help them become change-makers. Our scholarship program doesn’t place us in the big league of corporate philanthropy, but it will hopefully assist a young person each year alter the status quo.”

The students must outline an essay explaining what they plan to contribute to the American society in 200 words or less by Dec. 31, 2014. The winners will be announced on Jan. 14, 2015.

Co-founder of Global English Editing, Lachlan Brown, said, “This year’s scholarship has been open for about a month now and we’ve already received an overwhelming response and some great entries. It seems that America has a bright future indeed.”

To be eligible for the scholarship, one must be enrolled at a university in the U.S. and be a citizen as well. International students studying in the U.S. are allowed to receive this scholarship but will have to demonstrate their pure intention to remain in the country after they graduate. Global English Editing also wants students across the U.S to understand the power they have to change the world.

Brendan Brown, who is the founder of the company, said, “Young American change-makers are becoming ubiquitous in all walks of life. Tech entrepreneurs, business prophets, science geniuses and political and social activists, for example, are having a substantial impact on society.”

The scholarship is not merit based, but rather based off of how well the individual is able to express how he or she can demonstrate their thoughts through written work. This is beneficial for students who do not academically meet the standards of most scholarships but do have big plans for themselves in the future.

Many University of New Hampshire students attend school through various scholarships. When students are granted opportunities to lessen the cost of their yearly education, most will take the offer.

“I feel that scholarships play a huge role in higher education, such as attending a college or university, due to the fact that the tuition at most institutes increases each year, making it harder for students to afford an education so an opportunity like this seems like a great reason to apply for any scholarship,” freshman Brooke Kealey said.

The “A Better America Scholarship Program” is open to all individuals that have the drive to change the future. The company wants to push students, whoever they are, to share their ideas and skills to ultimately win the scholarship prize.