‘Cure’ your desire for great food

By Benjamin Shriber, Contributing Writer

Courtesy Photo Julie Cutting is the owner of Cure and creative designer for the restaurant’s fine menu.
Courtesy Photo
Julie Cutting is the owner of Cure and creative designer for the restaurant’s fine menu.

Portsmouth will always be a boutique-laden, upper echelon, hip-happening town. Included in the city’s allure are all the wonderful dining opportunities.   

Whilst strolling through the old streets looking for a place to eat your fill, it can often be challenging to choose a restaurant. To some this may not be a serious issue, but for others, choosing a restaurant becomes stressful. Next time you find yourself in this debacle, keep an eye out for a large sign with the demanding image of a knife, donning the word “Cure.” You will not be disappointed.

Immediately the atmosphere calms any skepticism. A cozy cornered bar greets you, and a brick-walled dining room affirms the port town theme. To reach the dining area, you must pass through the exposed kitchen. Any kitchen that exposes itself to their guests is confident they have something to offer.   

There is only room for about 30 people, and service is prompt and respectful. It’s always nice to have that commoner, “Hey, how ya doin?” attitude, even from what clearly is an upscale restaurant.

Cure keeps the menu short and stacked, with dynamic combinations to accompany quality proteins such as duck, lamb and salmon. The menu is seasonal and has since changed, showing me that owner/ chef, Julie Cutting, is evolving with time and experimenting with new, fresh seasonal flavors. The lamb shank, although beautifully presented and fell-off-the-bone, the vegetable carbonara shined through as a decisive winner. The food is quality. Cure is easily up there for the best mussels this reporter has ever enjoyed, and they boast a wine list that requires a separate novella. And yes, perhaps most important of all, the beginning bread is fantastic. Dare I say, better than Bertucci’s?

Cure serves as a great place to take a date, or an upscale dinner with your visiting parents. Maybe even sit at the bar for lunch.

If you are looking for an experience of a meal that’s off the beaten path, give Cure a try.