FCS Preseason All-American Evan Horn enters the NCAA transfer portal

Dave OBrien

By way of a tweet on Sunday night, former UNH defensive back Evan Horn announced that he will be entering the NCAA transfer portal and finishing out his final year of eligibility elsewhere. Horn was named to the STATS FCS Preseason All-American Third Team as well as the All-CAA First Team in 2019. This is another name on the long list of veteran defenders this program has seen walk out the door over the past year. 

“First off, I would like to thank the University of New Hampshire and the coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to play at such a prestigious program the past four years,” writes Horn on Twitter. “This is one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make… With so much uncertainty I believe it is in my best interest to graduate transfer elsewhere and enter the transfer portal.” 

Horn explained that he graduated in May as an undergraduate but still had one season of eligibility remaining. The program only had enough money to bring him back for one semester, but he was caught in limbo with the season being postponed until the spring, but the team still practicing this fall. Under normal circumstances he would have returned for the fall semester to finish out his final season. 

He noted that he’s a person who likes to finish what he started and never imagined that he’d find himself in this position. The tentativeness of this season’s schedule left the safety in a tough spot. He said he’d be kicking himself five years down the road if he squandered this opportunity without seeing what other options were available to him. 

“I figured I might as well put my name in the portal and see what’s out there,” said Horn. 

As for the interest he’s received since entering the portal, Horn hasn’t seen anything too concrete to this point. He did note, however, that he has received messages via Twitter and has been followed by accounts related to the “Power Five” conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC). 

Horn explained what he’s able to bring to the table as a graduate student to any program that may be taking a look at him. 

“As humble as I can be, they’re going to get a smart guy who’s been a starter for three years at a very high-level FCS program that’s ready to contribute right away… I’m just ready to play and want to get out there and compete,” he explained. 

The Wildcats are saying goodbye to their leader in both tackles (70) and interceptions (four) from a season ago. Horn also ranked in the top-five in pass breakups (five), sacks (four) and tackles for loss (seven).  

Horn is the next on a list of notable seniors who won’t be returning after leading the team with one of the best defenses they had seen in the past 10 years. Other notable losses included safety Pop Lacey, and cornerbacks Isiah Perkins and Prince Smith Jr. Smith signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent before spending time with both the New York Giants and the Cleveland Browns this season. 

Horn noted that it would obviously be a dream to follow in the footsteps of his former teammate and make it onto an NFL roster at some point, but in the end “if it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen,” the safety explained. 

The Wildcats have finished their fall practice schedule and will suit up for their first game without Horn on March 6 when they will welcome UAlbany into Wildcat Stadium. 

Photo Courtesy of Dave O’Brien