UNH professor accused of posing as woman of color on Twitter

University of New Hampshire (UNH) Assistant Professor Craig Chapman has recently come under scrutiny for allegedly posing as a woman of color on Twitter under the name “The Science Femme” with the handle “piney_the.” 

Chapman is an assistant professor within the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (CEPS) at UNH, where he teaches chemistry.  

The information was released to Reddit and Twitter by an anonymous source within the chemistry department.  

Chapman was allegedly linked to the account through a series of tweets to Chapman’s brother’s brewery, Pineland’s Brew.  

In a slew of tweets dating back to June 30, 2020, The Science Femme boasted “I was successful in killing my dept’s woke statement on recent social unrest” and that he believes this to be “a toxic ideology that cannot be given an inch.” 

In multiple deleted tweets, The Science Femme stated that they were a “WOC,”or woman of color, and a “POC,” or person of color.

The Science Femme credited themselves in being successful in “removing all woke terminology from the statement including anti-racism, white supremacy, white privilege, and claims of systemic racism.”  

Chemistry Department Chair Glen Miller allegedly confirmed in an email to faculty that The Science Femme was in fact run by Chapman. Miller condemned the offensive statements, but said he is supportive of Chapman as a person. Additionally, Miller shared his plans for rectifying the situation. 

Additionally, Chapman allegedly posted illicit and revealing photos of a currently unidentified woman on the alias account. 

These accusations come as UNH attempts to push new diversity, inclusion and equity initiatives in order to aid marginalized groups on campus. Chapman has allegedly boasted to actively sabotaging these initiatives within his department. 

“Being on these committees is the best way to steer larger policy further down the line,” The Science Femme said. “You have to endure all manner of nonsense, but do it.”  

As of Sept. 29, 2020, Chapman’s personal twitter account as well as The Science Femme were deleted.  

In a comment to The New Hampshire, UNH Spokeswoman Erika Mantz said “we are deeply troubled by what we’ve learned so far and immediately launched an investigation.” 

Chapman has not responded for comment. Miller could not respond to comment as per UNH Human Resources.  

This story is still developing.