Lacrosse player of the year

The University of New Hampshire Wildcats women’s Lacrosse team finished 10-6 overall and 5-2 in America East Conference play. They head into the America East Championship semi-final game against Stony Brook on Thursday led by junior Rylee Leonard. 

A 5-foot-6 midfielder from Coventry, Rhode Island, Leonard led the ‘Cats in regular season points with 51. Ranking top on the team in assists (22) and third in goals (29), she played a role in more than a quarter of UNH’s goals this season stepping into her role as a leader. 

Recording points in 15 of the Wildcats 16 games, Leonard’s best game came in their late matchup against the University of Maryland Baltimore County.  

Leonard matched her career highs in both goals (four) and assists (three) to record a career-high seven points and propel that ‘Cats to a 15-10 victory over UMBC. Leonard was the clear difference maker, contributing to nearly half of UNH’s goals. 

The junior midfielder recorded another noteworthy game in UNH’s 15-8 win over Iona. Leonard showed out on both ends of the field recording five points with two goals and three assists. Showcasing her defensive skills, she also secured three ground balls and caused another three turnovers.  

Converting 29 goals on 70 shots she averaged a .414 shooting percentage. Overall Leonard finished the season with 14 multiple-point games, the most by any Wildcat this season.