TNH Alumni Series

TNH Alumni Series

In honor of UNH’s 150th and TNH celebrating 106 volumes, we have decided to highlight some of the people who have made this publication possible over the years and late night productions. We are excited to introduce our new alumni series, and hope you will follow its continuation in future issues. Here’s to you, newsies.

Name: Adam J. Babinat

Graduated in: 2014

Major: English

Position(s) at TNH: Content Editor (’13-’14), Sports Editor (’12’13), and Staff Writer (’11-12)

By Abbi Sleeper

Q: What do you do now?
A: I am a third-year law student at Drake University Law School in Des Moines, Iowa. Right now I work in the legal department of an insurance company, but plan on practicing in elder and tax law upon graduation.

Q: What is your favorite UNH or TNH memory?
A: My favorite TNH memory was getting to cover the NCAA Hockey Regionals in Manchester with former TNHers Justin Loring and Tyler McDermott. Although UNH didn’t advance, the experience of getting credentialed for a big event like that was awesome.

Q: Do you have any advice to current TNH staff members, UNH journalism majors, or UNH students in general?
A: Be open to criticism. Nobody’s perfect, so the more receptive you are to listening to others, the further you will get in life. Even if it’s bad advice, the person giving it will appreciate that you at least listened.

Q: Do you specifically remember one “big” story published while you were on staff, or a particular story that you worked on which stands out to you?
A: My first day as content editor was the day of the Boston Marathon bombings. I remember uniting not just as a newspaper, but as a community in the days to come. That issue we put out the next day, though, and all the stories we managed to write about the tragedy to bring the UNH perspective will always stand out to me.

Name: Bri Handbri-hand

Graduated in: 2013

Major: English/journalism

Position(s) at TNH: Contributing writer, News Editor, Content Editor

By Tyler Kennedy

Q: What do you do now/where do you live?

A: I live in Cambridge and work in Boston as an Editorial Manager for Skyword, a content marketing startup. As part of my job, I manage a team of copy editors and freelance writers and edit blog posts on behalf of companies and brands. I’ve been there for nearly three years, and I love it!

Q: What is your favorite TNH memory?

A: My favorite TNH memory is absolutely putting together the Election Day newspaper in 2012. It was one of those nights where we knew we had a very difficult task and a long night ahead of us, but it didn’t matter because we knew what we were doing was important and we were surrounded by our closest people. Armed with an endless stream of terrible coffee and a giant pack of Twizzlers, we managed to get the paper together by 6:30 a.m. — and it was worth every second!

Q: Any advice for young journalists hoping to make it in the field?

A: You’re likely sick of hearing this advice by now, but it’s so vital to be flexible and adaptable in this industry. You’re going to be asked to do things you never thought would be in your job description, and your attitude when responding to those requests is what will set you apart from everyone else. Take everything as a new challenge and with a positive, gung-ho attitude, and you’ll get way more opportunities. Along the same line as having a positive attitude, train yourself to learn how to respond to feedback. You’re going to get plenty of criticism, whether it’s from your readers or your editors, and being able to internalize that as a learning opportunity and not an attack will really help how your bosses see you.

Q: What do you miss most in regard to your time at UNH? 

A: Dollar drinks. Don’t take those for granted! They are so expensive everywhere else!

cam-johnson-2Name: Cameron Johnson

Graduated in: 2015

Major: Journalism

Position at TNH: Multimedia Editor/Photographer 2011-2015

By Anita Kotowicz

Q: What do you do now?

A: I am currently working as a photographer for the RR Auction in Amherst, NH. I image every item that is put up for auction and help build the catalog we send out twice a month to our buyers, as well as manage image hosting online and video production for the company. We deal with a lot of space artifacts, music memorabilia, and historical documents. It’s not uncommon to be handling a moon-dust covered camera lens one minute, and carefully adjusting one of George Washington’s actual hairs in it’s display the next.

Q: What is something you credit your success to?

A: My favorite TNH memory would have to be dressing up for Halloween and doing a TNH Weekly Report as Ron Burgundy. I managed to get the whole burgundy suit and even shaved of my beard for Burgundy’s signature mustache, it was a total surprise to the entire TNH staff.

Q: Any advice for future journalists?

A: I wasn’t a writer during my time at TNH, but if I could give any general advice, it would be to always have a good image with your articles, whether its an image, infographic or drawing. Any visual component will draw in a larger audience, put your article in higher contention for a front page story, and will make it much easier to tweet out and share online.

Q: What was your favorite TNH story during your time at UNH?

A: One of the big stories at TNH had to have been when Vice President Joe Biden came to visit UNH Law in concord. I was picked to be the pool photographer for The New Hampshire and The Concord Monitor (where I was also interning at the time) and followed him around the state while he spoke at UNH Law and Manchester Community College. It was very exciting having an acting Vice President visiting our school, and actually getting to meet him was a once and a lifetime opportunity.

Name: Cameron Kittle

Graduated in: 2010

Major: Journalism

Positions at TNH: Executive Editor, Sports Editor, Staff Writer

By Andrew Simons

Q: what’s your career now?

A: I work in product marketing for Boston Scientific, a medical device company. I started out as an education reporter for the Nashua Telegraph (2010-2012), then got my MBA and moved into marketing in 2013. Still use plenty of my journalism skills, just not grabbing bylines!

Q: Do you have any specific memories that stick out from your time at TNH and UNH? I was told that you met your wife [Ellen Stuart Kittle, staff writer, arts editor and news editor] through TNH, is that true?

A: We met in Spanish class in Murkland, but we were both journalism majors and worked at TNH at the same time. So I’d credit TNH with growing our relationship a little bit! Plenty of memories of TNH and UNH.

Newsroom nights til 2 a.m. every week; mediocre bagel sandwich plates from the MUB for dinner; the time when the frat threw all our papers in the trash and we caught ‘em on video in Holloway; fighting with SCOPE because we leaked their spring concert, ending Freshman Camp due to our story on all the mooners; pranking friends in the newsroom with Saran Wrap and tiny water cups; writing up the UNH NCAA hockey weekend when they tied North Dakota with no time left and then won in OT and then lost to BU the next day (both in Manchester); our festivus tradition at former executive editor John Wayne Ferguson’s Woodsides apartment with a pole and tinsel and the staff airing their grievances… the list goes on!

Q: What happened with you guys leaking the spring concert? And what is your wife currently doing as a career?

A: I honestly can’t remember anything specific on the concert leak, I just remember SCOPE people being very petty and pissed off with all of us at TNH.  My favorite story was probably the frats trashing our papers for writing a story about one of their brothers being involved with an assault on campus, simply because we had to really make a significant team effort, the whole editing team, to make it unbiased. We were writing about something unjust or unfair and very newsworthy happening to our organization, so it was difficult to be unbiased in the writing and reporting, but I feel like we worked together and the story came out really well. My wife is working in nonprofit communications for the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts, which manages most of the Episcopal churches in the state. She writes stories and handles P.R., social media, etc, for the organization.

Name: Chad Grafftnh-editors-april-2011

Graduated in: December 2012, after 3.5 years at UNH

Major: doubled in communications and English/journalism

Position at TNH: Managing Editor 2010-11, Executive Editor 2011-13 and first semester of 2012-13

By Madison Neary

Q: What do you do?

A: I am a sports writer for Twin Cities Pioneer Press.

Q: What is your favorite UNH/TNH memory?

A: Those were the good days, we had a good time… Late nights in the MUB in TNH’s office, the weekends…and now that I’m thinking about it, Halloween and Homecoming.

Q: What advice would you give to young journalists?

A: Write as often as you can covering as many subjects as you can, it doesn’t matter if it’s fiction or nonfiction… Stay in school, don’t graduate early.

Q: What was a big story or the most exciting thing that happened while you were at TNH?

A: While Graff was on staff one of the german professors exposed himself to a mom and her child. TNH ran an editorial discussing how the professors punishment was too lax, which resulted in an unpleasant letter to the editor from a union of professors. “We took the most heat for that, it was pretty crazy.” While Graff was on staff TNH won a Pacemaker, “For the first time in a while we won best non-daily college paper.”

Name: Charlie Weinmann charlie-w-with-joel-kost

Graduated in: 2015

Major: Journalism

Position at TNH: Staff Writer, then Arts Editor

By Abbi Sleeper

Q: What are you doing now?

A: Pursuing a career in marketing or pr while freelancing and playing music.

Q: What are your favorite TNH/UNH memories?

A: Some of my favorite memories from my entire college career come from spending all night in the newsroom with a group of intelligent, funny people who all shared the same goal as I did. – I’ll never forget my trip to New Orleans to attend a journalism convention, all thanks to TNH.

Q: Any advice for future journalists?

A: My advice would be to challenge yourself. Take on that extra story you’re not too sure about. Test your limits. You can’t mess up that badly if you truly care about honing your craft.

Q: Are there any stories that you wrote with TNH that really stand out in your memory?

A: I don’t have one big story I worked on that stands out in my memory, rather, I’m thankful I opened myself up to writing a lot of different kinds of stories, and learned how to use editing and design software. Those are skills I’ll always be grateful for having learned at TNH.

Name: Zack Cox

Graduated in: 2012

Major: communications with a sports studies minor

Position at TNH: Sports Editor and Managing Editor

By China Wong

Q: What do you do now?

A: I’m one of two Patriots beat writers for NESN.com, meaning I go to all the games and practices and talk to the players and coaches on a daily basis. I typically publish anywhere between five and a dozen stories in a given day and also film a few video reports each week. I’d say my job is about 75 percent writing, 25 percent on camera.

A: I loved my time at UNH and TNH, so there are way too many to list. The shindigs we’d have on the final production night of each semester were always highlights, though.

Q: Any advice for journalists?

A: If you want to write, my best advice would be to write as much as possible, whether it’s for TNH, for an internship or for your own blog. And be versatile, both in your sports interests (as in, don’t pigeonhole yourself into one particular sport) and in your capabilities, especially when it comes to video reporting and podcasting. To cover sports nowadays, you really have to be more than just a writer.

Q: What was your most memorable TNH story?

A: The story that always sticks with me the most is a somber one, unfortunately. During the spring of my junior year, a UNH football player was shot and killed while he was home on break in Colorado. Police caught the guy who did it pretty quickly, and we obviously covered the whole trial pretty heavily. Since it was held in Colorado, we were relying on reports from a paper we’d partnered with out there. Fast forward to February (the Thursday before the second Patriots-Giants Super Bowl, I recall), and the guilty verdict comes down at about 11 o’clock at night, after we’d just about finished our entire Friday issue. That’s certainly not the kind of story we can push until Monday, so we basically scrapped the issue we’d just completed, spent the next few hours rebuilding it and had it ready to go for morning delivery. That’s probably the issue I’m most proud of from my time at TNH, and I like to think it was one of the reasons we won a Pacemaker Award (basically the Pulitzer Prize for college newspapers) that year for the first time in two decades.

Name: Dana Jenningsdana-jennings

Graduated in: 1980 (Five year plan because of TNH)

Major: English

Positions at TNH: Editor-In-Chief, Managing Editor, Arts Editor, News Editor, Football columnist

By Tyler Kennedy

Q: What do you do now?

A: Since 2010, I’ve been in the New York Times’ Culture Department and I’ve been a senior editor. Which means I do a bunch of different things [Since being at the Times’ since 1993,] it’s going to sound remarkably like my New Hampshire career, I was an editor in Sports, in Metro, Travel. And I think this was the reason I got invited to do the Murray [2010 visiting journalist] gig: in 2008, I found out that I had a really aggressive case of prostate cancer, and for a couple years I wrote columns and blogs for Science Times about what it was like dealing with prostate cancer. My health is now 100 percent, and it’s been eight years since I found out I was sick. Throughout my career since 1993, I always worked writing into my editing job.

A: This is going to sound like I’m toeing the company line, but obviously my skills have evolved over the decade since I graduated from UNH, but really the basics that I learned from Don Murray, Andy Merton and Ron Winslow. What I learned from the three of them combined with what I learned from The New Hampshire for four years, really gave me a leg up when I started my career.

Q: What is your favorite TNH/UNH memory?

A: When I was at UNH, the Greek system was really looked down upon. It didn’t really bounce back until Animal House became a popular movie. And so in a lot of ways for most of us who worked at [the paper], TNH kind of served as our de facto fraternity. The men and women that that I grew up as journalists, I still really have a soft spot in my heart for them…Some time in the late ‘70s, this happened to be the issue that we were making the transition from the old staff to the new staff. There was beer in the office, which I know violates all kinds of rules, not that you guys would ever do that. And the New Hampshire legislature had voted to raise the drinking age from 18 to 19. And of course this was going to be the lead story in TNH, and we managed to write a lead headline that said, “New Hampshire Legislature votes to lower drinking age.” Which, to be honest, was a total product of us not observing the alcohol rules in the MUB…For journalists, we were a reasonably wild bunch but we put out a good newspaper and had a lot of fun.

Q: Any advice for young journalists?

A: Journalism covers so many more things now. When I look at the young flock of journalists that we’ve hired at the Times in the last few years, it’s been mostly video journalists; people with a journalism background who can analyze our digital presence. If you want to be a traditional print journalist, whether digital or in newspapers, you really got to ask yourself what you want to do. And if that is what you really want to do, it’s the old story of “read as much as you can, write as much as you can, edit as much as you can,” and I would also say that if you have an obsession that sets you apart from your peers, try to pursue that obsession a little bit too.

Name: Justin Doubledayjustin-doubleday

Graduated in: May 2013

Major: English/journalism

Position at TNH: Staff Writer, then Sports Editor, then Executive Editor senior year

By: Gabrielle Lamontagne

Q: What are you up to these days?

A: I am living and working in Washington D.C. I am a reporter working for a paper called Inside Defense. We are a policy publication that covers defense spending. My beat is covering the Navy and Marine Corps. So I’m writing all about the new war ships, jets, helicopters, weapons that the Navy and Marine Corps are working on.

A: Covering the election in 2012 and being in the newsroom with the staff for 12 hours straight from 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. It was a lot of work, a long night, a lot of coffee was consumed but it was really cool in the end to cover history with my peers.

Q: Any advice to aspiring journalists?

A: Write as much as you can. Try to either intern or work at a publications that let you go out and report and write stories. The most important thing you can do as an undergrad is build a wide-ranging portfolio of stories…Every employer likes people who can write.
Q: What was you favorite story written for TNH?

A: It was a sad story to cover, but writing about Lizzi Marriot who was tragically murdered on campus about four years ago. I wrote a story about her through the eyes of her friends and family. It felt like it was a very important story to write. About what she meant to the people around her before she was taken away too soon.

Name: Kate Gardnerkate-gardner

Graduated in: 2014

Major: English/journalism

Position at TNH: spring 2012 Technology Columnist, fall 2012 – spring 2014 Staff Writer

By: Jocelyn Van Saun

Q: What do you do now?

A: I live in Portland, Maine and work at The Forecaster newspaper as a reporter.

Q: What is your favorite memory from UNH/TNH?

A: It’s hard to pick a favorite memory from UNH because most of my favorite moments were small, everyday things. The best period of time at UNH was probably the end of senior year, though, because there was so much going on in the month before graduation and it was very bittersweet, but also a lot of fun. I was hanging out with friends and enjoying UNH while I still could. I just remember feeling very carefree and happy during that time.

Q: Do you have any advice for me and other seniors about to graduate?

A: My advice for seniors about to graduate is to not compare your path to anyone else’s. It’s easy to look at what someone else is doing and feel like you’re falling behind, but I think you should just focus on what you’re doing. Everything will work out even if it takes you a little bit longer, or if you choose a different path…Don’t limit yourself based on what you think you’re supposed to be doing. Keep yourself open to new opportunities because you never know where they might lead.

Q: Do you specifically remember one “big” story, or any story published when you were on staff?

A: The biggest story I wrote at TNH was called “Students by day, strippers by night.” It was about UNH students who paid for college by being sex workers. Both of the girls I spoke with were strippers, but one was also a prostitute. The story was very controversial because it exposed a side of UNH that many people didn’t know about or didn’t want to know about, and the girls almost lost their jobs at the strip club they worked at. The story ended up being pulled from TNH’s website.

Another big story that the whole TNH staff worked on was the Boston Marathon bombing. We were all calling UNH students we knew with Boston connections to see if we could use any of it to give the story a UNH angle. I remember being in the newsroom and someone realized a train coming from Boston was about to stop at UNH, so me and two other staff writers starting running from the MUB to the train station to catch people getting off the train. There weren’t too many people getting off, but we were able to hear a few first-hand accounts of what had happened.

Name: Thomas Gounley

Graduated in: 2012

Major: English/journalism and environmental conservation studies

Position at TNH: Staff Writer second semester–sophomore year, Executive Editor junior year, then editorialist and website manager after studying abroad.

By Zerina Bajramovic

Q: What do you do now?

A: I am a reporter with the Springfield News-Leader in Missouri. I accepted a social media specialist position three days before graduation and basically moved across the country and began working for them two weeks after graduation.

A: In terms of general memories, all the production nights were pretty great. Our usual start time was five o’clock and we would get out sometime around one in the morning. Working with people that you really like, for the most part, is a lot of fun.

Q: Any advice for future journalists?

A: I think that journalism students should have a second major because I’m a practical person and in case it doesn’t work out for you in journalism. I don’t report much on how to write a story. Try and find some sort of niche for yourself. At the time, in 2012, I pitched myself as someone who really understood social media. Also, you should be willing to move to get your first job. A lot of students at UNH expect to stay in New England, but there’s a lot of small news organizations in the U.S.

A: My favorite story or issue that we did was when we were the first to report that the faculty union was going to hold a no-confidence vote. I don’t remember which issue it was exactly, but it was during my junior year. Later the Union Leader and a couple other local newspapers covered the story. It was nice to truly break a story.

14555889_10211244929504917_1924381805_nName: Jackie MacMullan

Graduation In: 1982

Major: Journalism

Positions at TNH: News Editor (1981), Sports Editor (1982)

By Ben Nawn

Q: What do you do now? 

A: I’m frequently on Around the Horn on ESPN, but also have been writing for NBA Enterprise. It started last year and I enjoy working with young talented people.

Q: What made you decide to go to UNH?

A: My parents thought I was nuts for going here, because I got accepted to Syracuse. I wanted to be journalism major and something about this campus and the feel of it made me like it.

Q: Did you enjoy basketball here?

A: Yes, I was more of a crawl on and played more my junior year. Didn’t have much to show them, but being apart of team was great as I met life long friends.

Q: Did you have your eye on TNH from the start?

A: I was a little afraid to go over there. At the time I didn’t have the courage to join, but Don Murray said you have to join the school newspaper. He was that guy who would give you a big bear hug and throw you into the program.

Q: You mentioned professors Don Murray and Andrew Merton were the best part about TNH? How so?

A: [Merton] was a straight man that challenged me to write well. I would write something and after having him look over it, he would send it back with the words “teach me something” on it. That changed something for me.

Q: Any advice for future journalists?

A: You will find that you have to write stories about good people, but sometimes you have to write stories about jerks as well. You have to write them. When I was sports editor we did a feature of my teammate Denise Higgins. At the time, the team was in great turmoil. Denise found out and she said to me “you can’t write this story right now.” I understood completely, but we could not afford to take it out we had to run it.

Q: Favorite TNH story?

A: In 1981, when President Ronald Reagan got shot we sent people around to get reactions from students and that resonated with me.

Name: John Wayne Ferguson

Jennifer Reynolds/The Daily NewsJohn Wayne Ferguson, reporter

Jennifer Reynolds

Graduated in: 2009

Major: English/journalism

Positions at TNH: Executive editor, Sports editor and Sports writer

Current occupation: City reporter for Galveston County Daily News (mostly politics)

By Van Hendrickx

A: Well if I were to consider myself ‘successful’ I would say it’s because I work at a job pertaining to my degree. But I got into journalism because of TNH, I needed to get out of dorm and do something and my friend was already involved at the paper. I credit TNH for opening my eyes to this career. I have done a lot since that has brought me halfway across the country. I got involved with TNH not because he wanted to be a journalist but because I wanted to be involved.

Q: What is your favorite UNH/TNH moment?

A: In 2009 I attended the NCAA playoff game where UNH beat North Dakota Fighting Sioux after they tied game in last second and went on to win in overtime. It was such a great hockey game to watch and I went with some of my pals at the TNH staff.

Q: Do you have any advice for future journalists?

A: Write as much as you can in college, and worry less about the layout and page design. There is a value in taking leadership roles, but reporting is where those essential journalism skills are acquired. Also, I wish I did more freelancing for other papers while at TNH just to increase that experience and add more clips to my resume. Learn how to use social media as tools rather entertainment, even though they are good for that too.

Q: What is your favorite TNH story during your tenure there?

A: I liked covering the hockey team, it was probably the high point of my writing career. However, I covered the volleyball team a lot, giving me the skills to be a good journalist. I still keep in touch with the old head coach to this day.

Name: Josh Sullivan

Graduated in: 2015

Major: English/journalism

Position at TNH: News Editor at first, then Sports Editor

By Brian Dunn

Q: What do you do now?

A: [I’m a] crime reporter at Killeen Daily Herald in central Texas, about an hour from Austin, two and a half hours from Dallas.

A: Work ethic. It’s not easy, there used to be Thursday night productions [for TNH]. You’re starting your night at 6 p.m. knowing that you won’t get out until 1 a.m. There’s even nights when you get out at 5 a.m. and get up for a 9 a.m. [class].

Q: What is your favorite TNH memory?

A: April of senior year…Nick Stoico and I didn’t have jobs yet, we were really stressed out. In the newsroom, stacked the column seats that were used as chairs up in a row to make two giant couches. We devised a business model where we would move to Cape Cod and run a website, venting about our stress.

Q: What is your favorite UNH memory?

A: UNH had its first playoff game at home my senior year under the lights against Chattanooga. Just looking up into the student sections seeing it absolutely packed, being so cold that night people didn’t care. Just seeing that was awesome.

Q: Any advice for future journalists?

A: You probably won’t like your first job, and that’s ok, maybe not even your second job. TNH is good because you essentially work for free (stipends aren’t crazy money). The industry is changing not necessarily for the better. Newspapers will probably die out before we die. I went out to the Berkshires…it was a one man job…it made for really stupid errors, but don’t quit. Don’t give up on it. You’ve got to kind of remember that there are people out there that make good money but hate their lives. I could barely afford rent and my student loans. I rode a bike for three weeks. All the big time stars were once a nobody. Katie Nolan was a bartender. Bill Simmons was a bartender. I could go on and on. Gary Tanguay got out of journalism…went from 90 grand to 48 grand. Makes it all the sweeter to succeed in the end.

Q: What was your favorite story during your time at TNH?

A: JLO broke the news to Chad Graff that Grayson Downing signed with the wild. He then broke that news to the second biggest newspaper in Minnesota because of JLO. The story was very basic because Matt Willows signed around the same time, but to know that was really cool. Max Sullivan did a really good job with the Brian McCloskey firing. That was just good journalism.

Name: Justin Loring

Graduated in: 2015

Major: Kinesiology, Sport Studies

Position at TNH: Sports Writer and Sports Editor

By: Sam Rogers

Q: What do you do now?

A: I coach lacrosse at Bishop Brady High School.

A: Persistence, trusting my gut and a (lot) of coffee

A: My favorite memory at UNH might be a few. UNH football going to back to back national semifinals, Danny Tirone’s no-loss or one-loss streak in 2014, women’s soccer winning America East in 2014 and making the big dance and field hockey wining the America East twice. I like winning.

Q: Any advice for future journalists?

A: Interview as many people as possible and learn how to do difficult interviews

Q:What was your favorite TNH story during your time at UNH?

A: I guess it’s cheating because it isn’t one article, but I was really happy with the content we got from our Recruiting Special. I came up with the idea for it my senior year to make recruiting practices a bit more transparent and interesting to readers, and everyone was great. So I’m going to toot my own horn but give credit to everyone involved in making that work.

Name: Keeley Smithkeeley-smith

Graduated in: 2010

Major: English/journalism

Position at TNH: Content Editor

By Carlos Martens

Q: What do you do now?

A: I am the executive editor for Long Beach Post for about a year and a half now. It is the most read online news publication in Long Beach, California.

Q: What do you miss the most from your time at UNH?

A: Autumn! Living out in California, I don’t get to experience the classic New England fall to which I have grown to love. Also, my home away from home, TNH’s newsroom. Sometimes my newsroom at LBP has the same feeling as it did at TNH.

Q: What brought you out to UNH?

A: Well I am originally from Washington state. I received a full ride to UNH for gymnastics. Which is another reason why TNH’s newsroom will always hold a special place in my heart. It was my intellectual escape from the athletic world, one in which I felt like I truly belonged.

A: As a paper team, we did almost everything together when I wasn’t practicing and competing gymnastics. We had South Park nights at Cam’s place, a Festivus ceremony around Christmas every year and even made a campus fraternity so angry after they were put on probation that they attempted to throw every copy of one issue of our paper into the trash. Yes, we were even interviewed by the Boston affiliates for NBC, ABC and Fox news about it!

Q: Any advice for future journalists?

A: Be fearless, be persistent. Keep an open-mind and go after what you want, don’t give up. Intern and network as much as you can. Become fluent in digital platforms. Modern journalism is in a constant state of change, be prepared and you’ll find yourself where you want to be.

Name: Lisa Miller

Graduated in: 1980

Major: English

Position at TNH: Staff writer

By Tyler Kennedy

Q: What do you do now?

A: Now I’m the director of the UNH journalism program, and I teach journalism classes here. I also run the New Hampshire Literary Institute in the summer, which is a program for K-12 teachers.

Q: What is your favorite TNH/UNH memory as a student?

A: Well, I had a great editor, Dana Jennings, and I really enjoyed working with him. I remember him fondly, and he was really great to work with. He was very supportive.

Q: Any advice for future journalists? 

A: Do any internship you can. Get as much experience as you can. Be flexible and willing to learn new things.

Q: What was your favorite TNH story as a student?

A: This isn’t exactly a TNH story but we had a guy from the Boston Globe come and teach [English] 622, which was advanced news writing at that time. And he wrote a column for the Boston Globe that criticized the governor. And the governor asked the university to fire him. So that has always made me laugh. I suppose that’s not really a TNH story.

Q: What do you miss most about being a student at UNH?

A: Getting to go to all these cool classes and learning new stuff. There are classes out there that I would love to take if I had time. That’s what I miss.

Name: Mark Daniels mark-daniels
Graduated in: 2007
Major: English/Journalism
Positions at TNH:
(2004-2005) as the police beat writer, Sports editor (2005-07). I covered football for two years (2005 and 2006), basketball (2005) and men’s hockey (2006).

By Ryan Pagliaro

Q: What do you do now?
A: I’m the Patriots beat writer for the Providence Journal. This is my third season. Before, I worked at the Boston Herald as an editorial assistant/general assignment sports writer.

A: I have so many it’s hard to pick one. My four years at UNH happened to be Chip Kelly’s final four years at UNH as the offensive coordinator, so I saw a lot of fun football. But really for me, the best part about UNH was covering the football team for two seasons. I fell in love with the sport and worked hard to get the job I’m in now. When I graduated, my goal was to cover an NFL team full-time. I took me seven years at the Boston Herald, but I finally got the opportunity in 2014. Of course, there were those late night D-Hop runs that I’ll never forget.

A: One memory that sticks out was when the football team was named the No. 1 team in I-AA for the first time in school history. That was fun. I remember the election between George W. Bush and John Kerry. Jon Bon Jovi came to the MUB and played an acoustic set. I got to interview him after that.

Name: Max Sullivan

Graduated in: 2014

Major: English/journalism

Position at TNH: Sports Staff Writer

By Alex LaRoza

Q: What are you doing now?

A: For the last year and a half I have been a full time reporter for Seacoast Media Group [SMG], specifically the Hampton Union. I am the only full time reporter for the Hampton Union, which is a lot of work. SMG also owns the Portsmouth Herald and posts its content on Seacoastonline.com and Fosters.com, and much of my work is printed in the Herald.

Q: Do you have a favorite UNH or TNH memory?

A: When I think about UNH, I often think about how I miss covering women’s ice hockey. Covering them made me more conscious of the need to support female athletes. The arena was always empty despite some great hockey games and I wish the women got more attention while I was there. I hope they do in the future.

Q: Any advice for future journalists?

A: Here are some quick tips I think have been important for me to keep in mind since I joined Seacoast Media Group: One, it is very easy to spend your time at your desk making phone calls to write stories, but the best way to know your community is to walk through it on foot and drive through it regularly. Also, being seen in your community makes people trust you more. Two, if you go to cover a story, be meticulous about getting the who-what-when-where-why-how. If you take those facts for granted and don’t make sure you left with them, you will undoubtably wind up needing to make phone calls –or worse, not be able to turn in your story at least a portion of the time. Three, never leave an interview without fully understanding what your source is saying. Again, it sounds obvious but sometimes you’ll have sources who go over your head. Never be too intimidated to ask a source to clarify what they mean.

Q: What was your favorite TNH story you covered and why?

A: I think I am most proud of my interviews with high-profile musicians who came through New England while I was at TNH and were willing to take my phone call. Those included blues guitarist Robert Cray, Godsmack frontman Sully Erna, Joey Santiago of the Pixies and two members of the punk band X, John Doe and Exene Cervenka. I got no response when I emailed the Foo Fighters’ publicist about an interview with Dave Grohl. But you’ve got to ask.

Name: Meg Heckman
Graduated in: 2001

Major:  English, Minor: Business

By: Brendon Burns

Q: What’s the typical day for Professor Heckman?

A: This is going to sound cliché, but there really isn’t a typical day. The typical teaching day for me is I drive from Concord – where I live – into Durham. I’ll usually listen to the news, some podcasts, and recently I’ve been really into the New York Times audio edition. When I get to campus I’ll usually teach, conference, go to meetings, but really my favorite thing is interacting one-on-one with students. And then when I’m not teaching, I try to spend as much time as I can on my own writing and my own journalism.

Q: What types of writing have you been working on recently?

A: “I was writing for the Globe during the New Hampshire primary. I was one of their correspondents in New Hampshire, and that was a free-lance arrangement. And lately this summer I did some work for USA Today writing a bit of some commentary. That’s been fun and a change of pace. I just had a piece published by Pulitzer.org, which is the website affiliated with the Pulitzer prizes, about the first two women to ever win a Pulitzer, and they won it for a biography in 1917. So it was a little bit of a different type of journalism and research. I got to go back into the historic records and dig up information about these two women.”

Q: How has TNH changed since you were a part of the organization in terms of technology and how information is translated to the public?

A: When I started being a part of TNH the second half of my time at UNH, I was a bit older than the typical staff writer for TNH (1999-2000), the paper had just switched from QuarkXPress to Digital Imagination, and that was a huge deal. Everyone was still learning how to layout pages in a digital space. There was a website, but it was very, very, prototypical. I’m pretty sure there was some kid who came in really late after production nights or first thing the next morning, and would hand code all of our stories in old-school HDML.

Q: How did you get to where you are now: teaching journalism at UNH?

A: I graduated in 2001, and I did a fellowship with a place called the Planer Institute for Media Studies. After that, I worked for a little paper in Biddeford, Maine. I worked there for about a year and in 2002 I took a basic reporting job at the Concord Monitor. My plan had been to stay a few years and get hired by a bigger paper, and then get hired by a bigger paper after that, and then hopefully end up covering congress or the White House, or something like that, and what happened were two things. The newspaper industry really started to change and a lot of papers weren’t hiring, so I found myself kind of experimenting with new ways to tell stories here. And that’s how I ended up as the digital experimentation person. I moved into more of an editor’s position for the Concord Monitor. I’m pretty sure that I was that paper’s first ever web editor. I may have been the parent company’s first ever web editor, but I can’t prove that, but that’s what they told me.

Name: Megan Specia meganspecia

Graduated in: 2009

Major: Journalism/Communications

Position at TNH: Staff Writer

By Allison Bellucci

Q:What do you do now?

A: I am one of The New York Times video journalists now. I actually work in the video department doing international breaking news.

A: Well TNH just in general was such a great opportunity to really stick my feet into doing some real journalism. I think the year I was a staff writer there was some pretty crazy stuff going on, on campus. We had someone who was being investigated in connection to a murder out West. There were also some really heartbreaking deaths on campus…This is not a “happy memory” but I think it helped me learn a lot about how to be compassionate to people when I’m reporting and I took a lot away from that time as far as experience. So I guess that is more something I learned rather than a happy experience. But a good memory? I have so many good memories of being on campus. I particularly loved being up there in the fall and walking to my classes in Hamilton Smith and enjoying the old architecture of the place. The feeling, I think, at UNH is very unique and I don’t think I realized it until I left. Of seeing people that I knew when I was walking to class, but also feeling like I was at a big university…For me, it was just being around those people in a wonderful environment.

Q: What is the biggest mistake a journalist can make?

A:  I think siloing themselves into one medium because right now we have this amazing online space that we can record in. I think people make the mistake of looking at themselves as a print journalist, or as a photographer, or as a video journalist. And for me, I think, it has really been about embracing all of those things.

Q: Do you have a favorite quote?

A: “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars” – Oscar Wilde.

Name: Michelle LaRoche, Editor, Development at the Wall Street Journal

Director of the Rutgers University Marching Band Tim Smith and his wife, on their way to Super Bowl pre-game show performance.

Nick Romanenko

Graduated in: 1995

Major: journalism

Position at TNH: Executive Editor

By Elizabeth Clemente

Q:What do you do now?

A: I guess I could sum it up as I look for the most promising, talented reporters and editors to have them work at the Wall Street Journal. So, I run our internship program, I work with the bureau chiefs to find reporters and editors to fill our full time spots, and I work on employee development so that once people get here, we have training programs and other ways for them to continue to develop in their careers, because it’s a really big place with opportunities all over the world; about 1,600 journalists globally, which means 1,600 amazing opportunities, but it can be really difficult to figure out what the right path is for you.

Q:What is something you credit your success to?

A:Well, I think there are a couple qualities that I have that have worked for me over the years. One is I’m a hard worker, I definitely am a “roll up the sleeves and get things done” kind of person, and I’ve been like that even in college. So, companies really value that, they value having people at the company that are willing to dive into any task, no matter how unpleasant it may seem, because they’re motivated by the challenge and they’re motivated by the idea of completing something no matter how difficult it is.

Q:What is your favorite UNH/TNH memory?

A: Late nights. I was on the crew team when I was in college. I can’t tell you how many days as editor-in-chief that I left the office and drove straight to crew practice. And that sounds like an awful memory, but it’s also a good memory because that’s when you find out what you’re really made of. Those really hard moments are when you dig deep and you find out what’s really in there.

Q:Favorite TNH story:

A:I was editor-in-chief when we did a big story on one of the fraternities because they had hired strippers and were accused of having sex with them, and that was our story. We broke that, and that was a really big deal. I look back on that, and I think, I should’ve been so much more scared than I was.

Q:Do you have any advice for future journalists?

A:I think it’s helpful when you’re interviewing for jobs to be yourself, and I think that’s the same advice I give to someone when they’re asking what are some of the better qualities of the best reporters that I know; it’s that they’re able to be themselves. Their reporting style, their conversation style reflects who they are, which is why sources are comfortable with them.

Name: Nick Stoico

Graduated in: 2015

Major: English/journalism and political science

Position at TNH: Sports Editor, then Executive Editor

By Zach Holler

Q: What do you do now?

A: I work at the Concord Monitor. I started at the copy desk two weeks after graduating from UNH, worked my way up to a news reporter in March of this year and two weeks ago was offered a job in the sports department and took it.

A: Joining The New Hampshire hands down. The best way to learn stuff is actually doing it. Also, I credit great professors in the UNH journalism department that I could look up to.

A: I was very proud and grateful all of those late production nights putting together the paper. There’s something about a group of students working hard together to finish the job. Also attending all of the sporting events and following the teams.

Q: What was you favorite story during your time at TNH?

A: It was about my third or fourth story as a contributor and I had to write about these two archers. I knew nothing about archery going into it, but I got a lot out of it and these two archers that were best friends got the exact same score and shared the championship.

Q: Any advice for future journalists?

A: Join The New Hampshire, it is time well spent. Also, read everyday. Reading articles everyday can only help.

Name: Sam Rabucksam-rabuck

Graduated in: 2016

Major: English/journalism

Position at TNH: Sports Staff Writer, then Content Editor and finally Executive Editor

By Colleen Irvine

Q: What Do You Do Now?

A: I am pursuing a Doctor of Law, which is a three year program across the country. I am at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champagne, which is about two and a half hours south of Chicago…I was drawn to the school because of the reputation specifically in regard to corporate law as well as media law. I am really looking to bridge the gap between these two fields I am passionate for. My father is a U.S. attorney and my mom is a lawyer as well…I always felt like [law] was a part of me and something I was interested in…There isn’t one major for going to law school, any major can be… Journalism seemed cool, I liked writing and liked to read the paper and I thought, ‘Hey, let’s give this a shot, ultimately try to build my resume, and then decide after if law school is something I still want to pursue,’ and it turns out it was.

Q: What is your biggest piece of advice for future journalists?

A: Let yourself fall completely into journalism…Don’t stop doing stuff and take any opportunity you can. Just kind of go for it…because, I think it was [Marcus] Weisgerber who told me that something very, very small can lead to something very, very big.

Q: What is your favorite TNH memory?

A: I felt such a bond with people I worked with. I know they sacrificed just as much, or more, than I did…and what was great to me was watching these people come out of their shell…and watching people come into these moments where they just gained confidence…and you don’t even realize it’s happening. That was the magic of it, I felt. It was the things outside of journalism that were really amazing.”

Name: Susan Doucet
Graduated in: 2014

Major: English/Journalism and International Affairs
Positions at TNH:
Executive editor, news editor

By Mark Kobzik

Q: What do you do now?

A: I work as an associate editor at CommunityCo, a group of invite-only professional communities, including the Young Entrepreneur Council (YEC) and Forbes Councils. I started out at a newspaper (the Concord Monitor) after college and many of the skills I acquired there and at TNH apply to my current work. As an associate editor, I spend my time writing articles and blog posts, editing thought leadership articles and engaging with our members. Our editorial department helps build the reputations of our member’s brands, some of which (such as YEC members) are startups. I love my work, which allows me to learn about startups, entrepreneurship, technology, marketing, FinTech and more.

A: I give significant credit to TNH for helping me gain valuable, professional experience while still in college. At TNH, I worked as a writer, editor and photographer. Without that experience, I do not think I would have been offered a position at a daily newspaper immediately after graduation.

Q: What is your favorite TNH memory?
A: It’s nearly impossible to choose one, but one of the best opportunities I had through TNH was a trip to Seattle for the ACP Conference. But in general, I loved the crazy hours of working in the newsroom with friends (there were a few nights we finished work near sunrise) and covering important and fun stories on campus.

Q: Any advice for future journalists?

A: Get as much experience as you can and keep an open mind about career possibilities. The job I have now – while it uses the skills and knowledge I gathered in college – was not one that I even knew existed when I was applying to jobs as a senior. As the journalism industry changes and technology develops, so will the job offerings. Careers will exist in the coming years that aren’t even considered right now.

Q: What was your favorite TNH story while at UNH?

A: I’m going to divert from the question a bit and instead say that some of my favorite assignments were shooting sports photography. Though I was a writer, news editor and executive editor at TNH, I discovered during my senior year that I loved sports photography. I photographed some football and hockey games that year and wished I started doing that earlier in my time at UNH.

Name: Tom Spencer

Graduated in: 2016

Major: English/journalism

Position at TNH: Contributor sophomore year, Staff Writer junior year and Content Editor senior year.

By Daniel Clare

Q: What do you do now?

A: I am the weekend manager at NH 1 News in Concord. I also have a play coming out in June [2017] at a local theater in Concord called ‘Whatever You Want.’

Q: How did you create your play?

A: The play started as a scholarship my senior year. Actually, three of my friends came to audition for it and one got casted so that is really exciting. All the editors from the newspaper came to see it on one of the nights. That is actually a fond memory of mine. Even though we weren’t working or editing the newspaper, people were involved and showed up to watch the play. That was, so far, the best thing to happen pre and post-graduation. After that I sent the play to a local theater in Concord and it got picked up. And that all began right there at UNH with the UPP scholarship.

Q: Speaking of memories, what is your favorite UNH/TNH memory?

A: We would have a lot of fun on production nights when I was Content Editor. We had a lot of inside songs and jokes that everybody liked and knew. Also remember covering the Super Bowl when the Patriots won. That was fun because I was a staff writer at the time and we were all watching the game and it was really tense. As the game turned around, everybody made a big group hug and started yelling and screaming because of the game.

Q: Did you have to go out and cover the riot afterward?

A: Yes, I did because I agreed to cover the post-game riot. What we didn’t know when we assigned it was if it was going to be a celebration riot or a furious riot. I sprinted out of the newsroom, it was freezing cold and there were people everywhere. When I got to Main Street, I took pictures with the massive group of people in the street. I then ran back to the newsroom and I didn’t finish the story until two in the morning. It was one of the craziest deadline writing I did for TNH.

Name: Marcus Weisgerber

Graduated in: 2004

Major: English/journalism

Position at TNH: News Editor

By Emily Young

Q: What do you do?

A: I write for a publication called Defense One, we’re part of Atlantic Media, which is the parent for Atlantic Magazine, QuartzNational Journal and a few other publications…I cover the military….international affairs. I focus on business… I also cover defense companies…financially what they’re up to and what they’re doing internally…the research work that they’re doing and kind of far-out, next generation Star Wars type stuff that they’re working on.

A: Always putting work…at the top of everything I’m doing…making it a priority in mind and always being willing to help out…You can always improve your writing as far as I’m concerned…I’ve always stressed relationship building, and building sources and being able to find out information. For me that’s been incredibly important, just in terms of being able to essentially get the story.”

A: Working at the newspaper was probably the most rewarding thing…just because I was intimately involved in so much stuff that was happening on campus and being able to actually influence our writing and editorials and stories, being able to actually influence and help shape the discussion that was going on. That was phenomenal.”

A: Making sure you have those trustworthy relationships and…always keep your credibility, always making sure what you have is right, making sure you always go and do your due diligence and always call up another person to verify stuff…Your reputation is just so, so, so key…Always make sure you stay professional…Double, triple check…because then people will trust you and…give you information.”

Q: What is your favorite TNH story that you worked on during your time at UNH?

A: It was 2003….there was a sniper going around D.C…No one knew who it was… It was inflicting fear all over the country and it was this huge national story. And I came down to D.C…because my sister went to Georgetown…and I interviewed a whole bunch of people… We went down Virginia to Williamsburg for a weekend, and there was a shooting while we were there and it wasn’t that far from us… I interviewed all these people and wrote a story about it…And the other would be probably covering the president…I went with one of my New Hampshire fellow news editors…and covered President Bush coming up to Portsmouth to give a speech…The whole covering the president for the first time and the spectacle involved in that was pretty neat.

Name: Andrew Yourell

Graduated in: 2016

Major: political science

Position at TNH: Sports Editor

By Brian Dunn

Q: What do you do now?

A: I’m currently in my first year of law school at the UNH School of Law in Concord, N.H.

A: I definitely owe my parents. My mom taught me how to read when I was very young and I’ve never really stopped reading and trying to learn more. They also both worked really hard to afford me the opportunity to receive a high quality education in high school, and I carried that through my time at UNH and now into law school.

A: It’s a tie between the day I visited UNH Law and Professor Michael McCann told me he’d read one of my articles, and last year at homecoming when I checked my phone and saw notification that UNH volleyball head coach Jill Hirschinger had added me on snapchat.

A: My favorite story was the profile that I wrote on coach Jill Hirschinger, which was also my final story. She runs a great program that’s about so much more than winning and losing, and she and her staff was great to me last year, so I was happy to end my TNH career with a story that I hope did the program some justice.

TNH Alumni Series