Wildcat's victorious over Lehigh in home opener

By Josh Sullivan, Sports Editor

Cameron Johnson/STAFF UNH receiver Jimmy Giansante leaps over his Lehigh defender to score the fourth touchdown of the game.
Cameron Johnson/STAFF
UNH receiver Jimmy Giansante leaps over his Lehigh defender to score the fourth touchdown of the game.

Tight end Harold Spears and wide receiver R.J. Harris combined for 247 yards and three touchdowns on Saturday as the Wildcats came out on top of the Lehigh Mountain Hawks 45-27. The win evens UNH to 1-1 on the season. After a tough loss to Toledo two weeks ago, Coach McDonnell was impressed with the way his team improved their game. “I thought we ran to the ball well and made tackles when we needed to,” he said in a press conference after the game.

The scoring started on UNH’s second drive of the game, as quarterback Sean Goldrich drove the ball down the field using his running ability until he settled down and connected with receiver Kyon Taylor for a 31 yard completion. A few plays later, a botched field goal attempt resulted in holder Andy Vailas taking the ball hard, putting his head down and burrowing through for the first down. Jimmy Owens, who took over the running duties when running back Nico Stereti went down with an high ankle sprain, punched the ball in from the two yard line.
Goldrich used his entire arsenal of receivers including Jimmy Giansante, whose diving touchdown catch rivaled Spears one handed catch over the middle for play of the game. Spears looked unstoppable all game, leading the team with 7 receptions and at one point needing six Lehigh defenders to take him down. “I was just open most of the time,” he said. “I happened to be the open receiver and Goldy just threw it my way.” “As a senior and a leader on this team, he played as well as he practiced the last week, week and-a-half,” McDonnell said. “He worked his tail off and it showed.” UNH will travel to Richmond next Saturday. The game will begin at 4 p.m.