Glow it up: Galantis ignites the crowd in spring concert

Right before performing at this year’s Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, the Swedish duo Galantis made a stop over at the Whittemore Center for UNH’s Spring 2017 concert on Thursday. Opening for them was another duo named Vicetone, two friends from the Netherlands.

Galantis debuted in June 2015, with their album “Pharmacy,” and since then have been gaining popularity with their hit singles such as “No Money” and “Rich Boy.” After the Vicetone’s opening set, the crowd in attendance was ready to dance the night away alongside Galantis.

Despite being a part of the electronic dance music scene, the two members of Galantis, Christian Karlsson and Linus Eklow, played instruments on stage; which is uncommon for the genre. The instruments accompanied each song’s lyrics that centered around dance floor focused elements.

In addition to the electric pianos, bass lines and drum sets that they brought to the show, Galantis also included mind-altering visuals. All around Karlsson and Eklow were interchanging images of various shapes, and symbols, all of which were in bright, and eye catching colors such as hues of magenta, purple, teal and green.

Unlike most other artists who have shapes or a specific font for their logo, Galantis utilizes a visual counterpart to their magnetic blend of electric sounds, androgynous vocals and unconventional use of instruments on stage; a hybrid of a feline-jellyfish “seafox” mascot.

“The music created a good vibe,” sophomore English major and communication minor Bri Miller said. ”The remixes and lyrics were awesome and everywhere you went, people where happy and having fun.” 

Galantis ended their performance by coming out further onto the stage, whilst holding a banner up that read, “#Seafox Nation we love you!” while looking into the crowd one last time before engraining into their brains the images of all the ecstatic faces and boisterous and appreciative applause.