How you can help “Wildcats STOP Street Harassment”

The WMUR and TNH stories about the MUB wall launching SHARPP’s new “Wildcats STOP Street Harassment” campaign collectively generated an overwhelming amount of support over the past week. Countless people have reached out to me as well as other members of SHARPP expressing their disappointment and asking if there was any way that they could help. The support from students, faculty, administrators, and alumni has been a driving force for us to continue pushing the campaign and it is making our message even stronger than originally intended. If you stand with us on addressing the issue of street harassment on college campuses, here are  three ways you can help.
1. Start a dialogue: Our intention of the “Wildcats STOP Street Harassment” wall and campaign was to start a dialogue on an issue that affects students and demands our attention. Talk to people about your experiences with street harassment and how you felt when the awareness campaign around the issue was silenced.

2. Participate in our video: This Friday, March 31 from 11-2 p.m., SHARPP community educator Lacey Ryder will be filming an informative video about street harassment outside the SHARPP office, located at Wolff House next to Health Services. We are looking for students to share quotes of their experiences with street harassment, and/or discuss ways that UNH students can help stop street harassment.

3. March with us on April 13: One of SHARPP’s biggest events for Sexual Assault Awareness month (April) is our annual Anti-Violence Rally and walk, which will take place on Thursday, April 13 from 12:30-2 p.m. on the Great Lawn in front of DeMerrit Hall. Show up, march with us and get loud to show that we will not be silenced when it comes to violence on campus, including sexual harassment and assault.

For more information on the campaign, go to http://www.unh.edu/sharpp/wildcatsstopstreetharassment. If you would like more immediate assistance, please call the SHARPP office at (603) 862-3494. If you would like to speak with a confidential advocate, please call SHARPP’s 24-hour support line,
(603) 862-SAFE (7233).
Thank you.

Jordyn haime

First year student, SHARPP
community educator