SCOPE announces Galantis as spring concert

The Student Committee on Popular Entertainment (SCOPE) announced Tuesday that electronic dance music (EDM) artist Galantis will perform in this year’s spring concert on Thursday, April 20. It will be the second consecutive year that SCOPE will feature a DJ since the university hosted Kygo in fall 2015.

The Swedish duo earned their fame when they released their self-titled EP in early 2014. They followed up shortly after with their debut album, “Pharmacy,” one year later. It features the four singles “You”, “Runaway (U & I)”, “Gold Dust” and “Peanut Butter Jelly.” They’ve since rifled out chart-topping singles “No Money” and “Rich Boy” while continuing to redefine their sound and image.

Galantis remains on the rise still—students who were previously concerned about an artist’s popularity having an impact on their decision to perform at UNH should feel reassured by now. This one is growing steadily and showing no sign of slowing down.

Amid their first international tour, Galantis is scheduled to travel from their show in Los Angeles to UNH overnight and perform before 5,000 students and guests alike.

Since news broke out on SCOPE’s Twitter and Facebook pages, the organization has already received more positive feedback than expected. SCOPE’s publicity director, Caitlin Meaney  reacted to the public’s go-ahead saying, “I think that yesterday, when we announced, we got more positive feedback than ever before.”

“It’s hard when much of the school is used to country or rap, so you don’t know what the consensus will be,” Meaney added. “It’s a really good feeling to see that students are eager to hear these other genres too.”

The excitement transcends social media. Word spread across campus in just hours and fans waited with anticipation for tickets to go on sale on Thursday.

Freshman Corey Walsh said even though he skipped the fall concert, he’s planning on jumping on this one.

“I’m not a huge EDM fan,” Walsh said, “but I like Galantis a lot. Their sound is unique which definitely makes them worth seeing live.”

“We knew we wanted to go with EDM from the start this year,” Meaney said. “[SCOPE] is trying to keep things mixed up, even though what most of the university wants to hear is either country or rap. I think part of the reason feedback has been so good is because Galantis is upbeat. It makes people happy.”

Although Meaney couldn’t disclose any information about SCOPE’s other options, she did say the finalists were all EDM.

Tickets are on sale now and can be either picked up at the ticket office of the Memorial Union Building or bought online via UNH’s new online ticket platform.