Homicide investigation remains ongoing

The investigation into the March 11 homicide of a man within .2 miles of the UNH Woodside Apartments remains ongoing.

The Durham Police Department received a call shortly after 1 a.m. on Saturday, March 11, and dispatched an officer immediately to 18 Edgewood Road where 22-year-old Michael Barrett, of Dover, was found dead. According to a news release from the Office of the New Hampshire Attorney General, the cause of death was determined to be a result of a stab wound and has been determined a homicide.

According to Durham Police Deputy Chief Rene Kelley, the last murder to occur in Durham was in July 1997. After an investigation, no charges were filed as it was committed in self-defense.

The news release for the homicide of Barrett states, “While the circumstances are still under investigation, part of the investigation includes whether this incident involved the use of self-defense.” As confirmed by Kelley on March 29, the case is currently still under investigation by the Major Crime Unit of the New Hampshire State Police.

“To date, nobody has been charged with the murder of Michael Barrett,” Kelley said.

The murder of Barrett was transferred out of the jurisdiction of the Durham Police into the Major Crime Unit of the New Hampshire State Police when it was ruled a homicide.

“In the state of New Hampshire, with a few exceptions, all homicides are investigated by the [New Hampshire] State Police and Major Crime Unit,” Kelley said.

Susan Morrell, senior assistant attorney general and lead attorney to the case regarding Barrett’s homicide, said, “We believe we have identified everyone involved in the case of the homicide.”

She declined to comment on any further details collected during the investigation.

“The general nature of the investigation is that we can’t comment on any of the facts or circumstances that we are gathering at the time,” Morrell said. “We do this to ensure the integrity of this investigation.”