‘Cats win regular season title, tie program’s win record

For the first time in program history, the UNH women’s basketball team has won the America East regular season title. After a 62-57 win against the University of Hartford, the Wildcats sealed up the conference crown and tied the program’s record with the most wins in a season.

With a 23-4 record, the ‘Cats are one win away from breaking the record and UNH will have two tries at it remaining this season.

The regular season champs are also 13-1 in conference play and will be the number one seed in the America East conference tournament.

“I’m so proud of how hard the team has worked to clinch the league title. It’s an amazing accomplishment for such a special group,” head coach Maureen Magarity said. “I think it’s still setting in for everyone just how monumental this is for our program.”

In their win against Hartford, Carlie Pogue achieved her own historic accomplishments as she tallied her 1,000th career point and 500th career rebound. She had 18 points and added seven rebounds in the victory.

“I think [Pogue] has really done a great job of staying consistent this season. She worked extremely hard in the offseason to get in great shape and I think this has definitely helped her dominate games,” Magarity said. “I also think a huge key for her this year is her defense has improved tremendously.”

Pogue’s dominance during games has focused a lot of attention on her, which leaves her other teammates open, and they have been taking full advantage.

Forward Kat Fogarty can attest to that as her and Pogue feed off each other in games and if one of them has an advantage that night, they get their number called.

Fogarty added 12 points and eight rebounds for the ‘Cats and guard Kristen Anderson also tallied 12 points and dished out five assists.

Junior guard Olivia Healy added six points, seven rebounds and five assists in an all-around performance.

COURTESY OF ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS
Junior Brittni Lai scored five points in Saturday’s 62-57 win.

“I felt we did a terrific job of moving the ball against their pressure and zone,” Magarity said. “I also felt our team defense was really tough. Everyone did their job to help take Hartford out of their offensive flow.”

The ‘Cats’ tough defense forced Hartford to shoot only 37 percent from the field and 16 percent from behind the three-point line.

With two games remaining the ‘Cats are one victory from their 24th win, something that has never happened before in program history. UNH takes on the University of Massachusetts-Lowell Thursday, Feb. 23 at 7 p.m.

“The team is excited to play tough at home on Thursday for our seniors and we know we have one of the hottest teams in the league, right behind us in the standings on the road,” Magarity said. “UMBC will be a great game to help us prepare for the AE tournament.”

On senior night, the Wildcats will honor their lone senior Kristen Anderson.

UMass Lowell is 0-15 in conference play and in last place in the conference standings. UMBC, the ‘Cats’ final opponent, is 10-4 in the America East and they hold the third place spot in the conference.