Annual adventure sports expo hits Granite State Room

Adventure and thrill seekers gathered in the Memorial Union Building’s (MUB) Granite State Room (GSR) for the annual event, Get Outta Bed and Shred. The Recreation Society hosted the event, which was on Tuesday, Nov. 15. The adventure sport expo featured representatives from local mountains and vendors, merchandise, promotional prizes and live music to explore and enjoy.

At the expo, attendees checked out some of the latest ski and snowboard equipment, talked to local shops and got to know some of UNH’s outdoor sport organizations such as the Outdoor Club, Ski and Board Club and the Climbing Club. A raffle giveaway was held throughout the evening, with a wide variety of prizes such as skateboard decks, surf lessons, ski and snowboard equipment and lift tickets.

“I’m just here trying to get more people to surf,” Cinnamon Rainbows Surf Co. sales rep and surf instructor Becca Speak said.  

Students were able to purchase and receive their College New England Season Pass that services Loon, Sunday River and Sugarloaf ski resorts right in the expo, conveniently avoiding the long lines at ski resorts later in the winter.

Tuesday’s event was not simply a place for advertising New England ski resorts and sports shops; it was a place for like-minded action sport enthusiasts to congregate and share past experiences, discuss future adventure plans and share each other’s adrenaline fueled lifestyles.

“We really want people to experience life, and we focus on bringing recreational sports and activities to students,” Recreation Society President Nicholas Alley said. “We want everyone to respect one another, have integrity for our cause and show passion in what they love doing.”

During the expo, three local bands had the opportunity to play a set to entertain the crowd. This included Dogs That Know They’re Dogs, Phat James and The Kenny Brothers Band. All of these groups support outdoor education and the importance of living an adventurous life.

“We’re playing for a rad group of people, it is cool being able to play on campus to set ourselves up for student recognition,” Phat James lead member Matt James said.

“We are all out-doorsy guys, we enjoy promoting unconventional lifestyles free from the typical nine-to-five work day type,” senior outdoor education major and Kenny Brothers Band bassist and vocalist Joe Kenny said. “Our new album is called ‘Walk in the Woods’ and it is about just that, heading out into nature to explore the world around us and escape societal norms and pursue adventures through exploration.”

Whether you enjoy white knuckling through woodland trails on your bike, shredding powder through some backcountry on ski or board or clinging on by fingertips to a rock wall, the adventure sport expo had something to satisfy thrill-seekers of all types. With the onslaught of winter right around the corner, the perfect spark to ignite everyone’s fire to pursue thrills and experience the chills of winter action sports was going to Get Outta Bed and Shred!