Warren visits UNH and encourages Democratic votes

Senator Elizabeth Warren stopped by the Strafford Room in the Memorial Union Building (MUB) on Saturday to campaign for the New Hampshire Democratic ballot that will see Hillary Clinton, Maggie Hassan, Carol Shea-Porter and Colin Van Ostern all challenge Republican opponents this November. After the campaign stop, Warren and Hassan stopped by the UNH Dairy Bar to speak with voters and get some ice cream.
The New Hampshire had a one-on-one interview with Senator Warren to discuss Hillary Clinton’s appeal to students and how she’ll be fighting for a progressive agenda this November and beyond.
Edited for clarity.

Staff writer Mark Kobzik interviews Elizabeth Warren outside of the UNH Dairy Bar after her speech.

TNH: Without mentioning Secretary Clinton’s opponent, why should students who are facing debt and not the best job prospects vote for Hillary Clinton?
Warren: So look, Donald Trump set up a fake university. That’s to cheap people out of their life’s savings. That was his plan for higher ed. Hillary Clinton has strongly supported both bringing down interest rates on student loans and bringing down the cost of college. We believe in debt-free college. The other side believes in maximizing profits for those who have already made the money.
TNH: In a Mic interview, you said that the number one problem with government is whom it works for. You said it works for the millionaires and the lobbyists and not for the American people. Can you explain how a Hillary Clinton presidency would work for the American people compared to a Donald Trump presidency?
Elizabeth Warren speaks to audience in the MUB Strafford Room along side N.H. Governor Maggie Hassan.

Warren: Well, there are different ways to look at it, but one in particular is that Secretary Clinton has said that when she becomes president she will raise taxes on the billionaires and millionaires and help close loopholes on multi-national corporations that ship jobs overseas. That gives us money to invest in education here in the United States. It gives us money to invest in infrastructure here in the United States. It gives us money to invest in a future in the United States. Not just for those at the top but for everyone.
TNH: A lot of UNH students were very supportive of Bernie Sanders and you recently addressed one of the issues they’ve had (with Secretary Clinton) is with the Treasury picks Hillary Clinton might be proposing. Do you see yourself as sort of pushing her (Secretary Clinton) to the left? Keeping that passion of Bernie Sanders about working for the American people?
UNH Students prepare to show support for Senator Warren, Governor Maggie Hassan and the Hillary Campaign in the Strafford Room.

Warren: So, look, Hillary Clinton has run on the most progressive agenda in history. I think the job of progressives is to help her win on that agenda and when she wins, help her execute on that agenda. And that means getting the right people around her and giving her lots of energy. That’s how we build a progressive movement.