Summer Issue: Entertainment Buzz

For those staying in Durham this summer, one question is certain to come to mind: What can I do here? While I may not be the most in-tune with certain outdoor activities or night-life outside of Durham, I am staying here for most of the summer, so out of pure selfishness I have researched and compiled a list of what I believe to be the best on-screen entertainment out this summer. My movie and television show recommendations are as followed:

Gameofthones“Game of Thrones” – As for television, my recommendation isn’t all that surprising ifyou happened to have read my ltest article in the Arts section of this publication, where I reviewed the latest season premiere. If you haven’t seen or even heard of “Game of Thrones,” then I feel bad for you because it’s a masterpiece. If you like fantasy and don’t like realism, this is the thing for you, and if you like realism rather than fantasy, you’ll also feel at home because both are in ample supply. For those caught up with all five seasons (and if you’re like me and really a nerd, then you’ve read all the books plus “The World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and The Game of Thrones”), you’re looking forward to what the show producers have dubbed the best season yet.

“Mr. Robot” – Season two of “Mr. Robot” will be out this summer. I highly recommend it for those seeking a tale of paranoia and thrills in the world of computer hacking and impending anarchy.mr.-robot

“The Night Manager” – I am currently watching this series starring Tom Hiddleton and Hugh Laurie. It’s a rather suave tale based around a cloak and dagger plotline.

However, if you’re looking for laughs, look no further than HBO’s awesome line-up of comedic options, including: “Real Time with Bill Maher,” “Silicon Valley,” “Veep” and “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.”

The summer movie season can either be an endless marathon of Michael Bay CGI explosions or really wow us with a line-up of superb indie flicks and even the occasional blockbusters.

Captain-America-Civil-War-banner-101“Captain America: Civil War” – This blockbuster is the latest installment in the Marvel franchise, which will probably never end. What I’m fascinated about with this one is that it will focus on the tension between my two favorite characters in the Marvel movies: Iron Man and Captain America. Robert Downey Jr. is the best thing to happen toMarvel in a long time, but Captain is also growing on me. Ever since “Winter Soldier,” I have warmed up to a character I didn’t really like in his debut. This showdown between two friends and a whole cast of quipping side characters should make for an emotional and enthralling story. Hear that D.C. Comics?

Also coming out will be “The Nice Guys,” starring Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling in what I see as a mix between a dark comedy and ‘70s noir.

startrekbeyond“Star Trek Beyond” – This movie will be the first Star Trek with this cast where J.J. Abrams isn’t behind the camera. From what I saw in the first trailer, it didn’t feel much like “Star Trek” as it did some “Fast and Furious” movie. That’s because Justin Lin, a long time “Fast and Furious” director, is at the helm. We’ll find out if he succeeded soon enough.

“Suicide Squad” – This one should kick some serious butt this summer because, finally, no more good guy protagonists. Speaking of good guys, the new X-Men movie looks promising.

If you’re like me and just can’t resist seeing some movies while there’s nice weather then don’t waste your time on crap, like the new ninja turtles movie or the sequel to “Neighbors.” I like Seth Rogen, but I didn’t laugh once during “Neighbors.” I doubt I will at its sequel. Sequels are usually unneeded and they’re especially annoying when the first movie was total garbage. Don’t waste your well-earned money.

“Jason Bourne” – The new Jason Bourne flick starring Matt Damon is up next. I’ve seen the first three movies a million times and while I think “The Bourne Ultimatum” kind of ended the story line, I can’t wait to see what director Paul Greengrass has going with the new one.

Free-State-of-Jones-poster“The Free State of Jones” – A continuation of Matthew McConaughey’s so-called “McConassaince,” is “The Free State of Jones,” which follows the true story of Newton Knight as he rebels against the Confederacy during the Civil War.

“The Infiltrator” – This one stars the most bada** of them all, Bryan Cranston. The “Breaking Bad” star will be on the other side of the law this go around, as he’s no longer the drug kingpin featured in the hit AMC show. Now he will be taking down a real life Heisenberg type: Pablo Escobar.

Now, you’re probably wondering how to see these movies without a car, right? Take a bus to the local Regal Cinemas in Newington.

For a schedule of indie films and other cool events, check out the Portsmouth Music Hall’s website.