The importance of utilizing your UNH meal plan

By TYLER KENNEDY

Staff Writer

As you will all soon discover for yourselves, with college comes great responsibility. Starting late August, you will be provided with a sense of freedom that will require you to make all the big-time decisions of your day-to-day life.  One such decision will be what and where to feed yourself.

Take it from me, if you’re going to take any advice away from this freshman issue of The New Hampshire, let it be this: There does come a point where you will get sick of fro-yo.

Prior to my time as a wildcat on campus, frozen yogurt was a luxury; a creamy and delectable treat that I would only purchase when there was some extra dough in my wallet. This all changed when I walked into Holloway Commons for the first time.

Within my first month at UNH, I would say that 90 percent of my dinner meals concluded with fro-yo as desert. After that one-month period, my consumption of the dairy treat dropped steadily until it was almost non-existent. As to why this happened, I have no real answer. I truthfully just got sick of it, more or less.

My love story with frozen yogurt ended on bitter terms. However my romance with HoCo’s chicken nuggets is still going strong. I’m excited to be reunited with them in the upcoming days.

The moral I’m trying to get across to you is that when it comes to dinning hall food, you really ought to have a well-balanced diet. If there’s one thing this university offers in terms of eating, it’s variety.

Variety also comes into play when deciding where to have your meal.

As a freshman resident of Alexander Hall, HoCo was always the main destination for my friends and me. In fact, weeks would go by where I wouldn’t venture into either of the other two dining halls on campus. This was mostly out of convenience since HoCo was so close to both of my daily classes and the area of campus where I spent most of my time. It was also because HoCo is genuinely my favorite of the three.

A small part of me died inside when HoCo was forced to close for the last two weeks of the semester due to construction. This may have been an inconvenience to my day-to-day life, but there were some benefits to be had from it.

Prior to that point, I probably only had two or three meals in Stillings. I was familiar with the set-up of the place, but I still didn’t have the bond with it like the one I share with HoCo. But you know what? It’s a start. This year, Stillings will be right outside of my dorm room. With the MUB’s Dunkin Donuts closed until the winter, Stillings will be my go-to for my morning coffee.

Holloway Commons, which is currently under renovation, is centrally located on the UNH campus. HoCo is expected to be open during the academic year.

For those of you living in the freshman dorms, I imagine that Philly will be to you what HoCo was to me: the hub spot of my freshman life. There was no other place where I had as many laughs.

All in all, I suggest you carry out your freshman year with much variety. Every day, try something new. Let your year take its course and see what you can make out of it.