Editorial: Out with the old, in with the new

GOP needs more like Innis, less like Giuliani

The appointment of University of New Hampshire professor and former dean of the Paul College of Business and Economics Dan Innis to finance chair for the NHGOP is the kind of move Republicans should keep making.

Numb-minded statements like Rudy Giuliani’s remarks that President Obama “doesn’t love America” are what the GOP should be pushing out. 

It’s time for the Grand Old Party to push out these old timers that are making them look bad if they want to have a shot in 2016.

This is what Giuliani said as reported by Politico on Feb. 18: “I do not believe, and I know this is a horrible thing to say, but I do not believe that the president loves America … He doesn’t love you. And he doesn’t love me. He wasn’t brought up the way you were brought up and I was brought up through love of this country.”

Wednesday morning in Concord, Vice President Joe Biden said perhaps the most important element of serving in politics is having an open mind. He extended this thought, adding, “Don’t question motive. It is the most corrosive thing to occur in my years of service. It is never appropriate to challenge motive, because you don’t know their motive.”

Charges such as Giuliani’s towards the president lead precisely to what drives the gridlock that so many Americans are upset about. It’s all about attitude. There is a reason there was a clear dip in voter turnout last fall, and it was not only because it was a midterm election. Voters are losing faith in the leadership at every level of the federal government and rightfully so.

And who is Rudy to be making these remarks? He was mayor of the largest and perhaps most diverse city in the nation. He led the city out of the rubble of the most devastating tragedy to strike the nation since Pearl Harbor.

It sounds like the years are catching up with Mayor Giuliani. He tried unsuccessfully to climb back into political relevance in the 2008 Republican presidential primary, some seven years since he spent his last days as mayor of New York City. He certainly seemed confident, but couldn’t win a single primary. So much for “America’s Mayor” as Oprah Winfrey once called him.

The undertones of racism in Giuliani’s comments are up for debate — who knows what he really meant. What we can draw from those words is Giuliani decided to make things personal.

Innis, on the other hand, is a step forward for the GOP, although on a far smaller scale. He may not have the national celebrity Giuliani (once) had, but his appointment did land him on Buzzfeed and gathered some national attention.

No matter your party affiliation or even if you don’t pay mind to politics, Innis is someone the UNH community should be proud of. We don’t know what his plans are for future races, whether he will eye the New Hampshire 1st Congressional seat again in 2016, but he is staying involved in politics.

Fortunately for Republicans, new players like Innis are sticking around. Giuliani, an old disgruntled political veteran, is fading away.