Change and false hope

FROM THE RIGHT

By Alex Fries

Over the course of the last six years, Democratic politicians have lured the majority of the population, and especially us “Millennials,” into voting for them with the promise of hope and change.

Our current Democratic incumbents representing New Hampshire in Concord and Washington, D.C. were especially eager to spread that message. Year after year, week after week, speech after speech they preached from their pedestals about how under their supervision and leadership this country was going to flourish and be transformed into something better.

However, when we stand still for just one second and look around at what has happened and what is happening this very moment not only in the world, but much more importantly in our own country, what we see is devastating. Instead of receiving the results of the promised hope and change, what we got was false hope, lost chances for change and far too much news coverage of all the golf courses around the country.

The world is “going up in flames” with terrorism being as strong as it has ever been, Ukraine fighting Russian-backed separatists, and our allies overseas not only disrespecting us, but also not wanting to work with us anymore.

When we look at what is happening in our own country under the supervision and as result of so-called “great” policies by the current administration and career politicians like Shaheen, Kuster and Shea-Porter we see that our borders are insecure and allowing not only illegal immigrants, but even criminals into this country that threaten our way of life. Then, there is the so-called Affordable Care Act — commonly referred to as “Obamacare” — which has hit New Hampshire harder than any other state in the nation. Washington politicians promised us that we would be able to keep our favorite doctors, but not even that was an attainable goal. For years now, our veterans have not been receiving the appropriate care after risking their lives to protect and preserve this country and all of us who live in it.

In addition to all these problems we also have a budgetary problem, which is threatening to ruin not only New Hampshire, but also the entire country. 

However, the current situation isn’t irreparable. We can turn this country and this state around.

A newly released video by the College Republican National Committee brings home the point that it is up to Millennials to decide “What we want America’s future to look like,” and “We don’t have to accept inevitable decline! We have an opportunity to choose better for ourselves.” The key is that we have to finally elect individuals with bold ideas who understand the problems New Hampshire faces and are willing to tackle those problems. We only find those individuals on the Republican ticket this coming November.

I, therefore, strongly encourage everyone to keep your eyes and ears open for what candidates have to say. I guarantee that you will realize that there is a way out of this mess. It is simply not found in the past false hope and change of incapable Democratic incumbents, rather in the solutions being found and presented by the Republican candidates. The future lies in our hands — go and vote Republican!

σ

Alex Fries is a sophomore athletic training major and is the president of the UNH College Republicans. Follow Alex on Twitter @AJFriesNH