UNH Goalie Casey DeSmith suspended on domestic assault, resisting arrest charge

Courtesy Photo
Courtesy Photo

By Justin Loring, Sports Editor
EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to a reporting error, the original version of this story incorrectly stated that information about details of the alleged assault came from a police report. The information was in fact provided to The New Hampshire through a verbal statement from Durham Police Deputy Chief Renee Kelley. Also, Jamie Reagan is not related to Kevin Regan, a former UNH goaltender. This too has been removed.
According to the Durham Police Department and Foster’s Daily Democrat, UNH men’s ice hockey goalie Casey DeSmith was arrested and charged with domestic assault and resisting arrest over the weekend.
A call was received at 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 30, from the female victim. According to Durham Deputy Police Chief Renee Kelley, the victim was “thrown to the ground, jumped on top of and was repeatedly punched and spat upon.” DeSmith, “appeared intoxicated” and police said that when they arrived, the victim had “physical evidence” on her body, Kelley said.

DeSmith was taken to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, where he reportedly resisted arrest when confronted by police.
The university released the following statement Wednesday afternoon:
“The University of New Hampshire is aware of Casey DeSmith’s arrest. The university takes the allegations very seriously and will always act to ensure the health and safety of our community. The university will treat this report with the seriousness that it deserves and in a manner consistent with our handling of similar cases involving any UNH student. Consistent with our policies regarding student athletes charged with this type of behavior, Mr. DeSmith has been suspended from the men’s hockey team pending further investigation into the matter.”
Junior Jamie Reagan and freshman Adam Clark will now be on position to take over the starting spot.
DeSmith has been the starting goaltender for UNH since 2011.